won't move on "R" unless gas pedal is stepped

Hi,

I have a 99 camry ce. Today I fond that while I switched from "Parking" to "R", the car would not move unless I step on the gas pedal. The car had no heavy load and it was parked on flat ground. I am wondering if anyone can give me some idea about what might be the reason for this problem.

Also, before the "R" problem today the "check engine" light came on. (It came on a few weeks ago but disappeared after driving about 30 miles). I am not sure whether there might be some link between this light and the R problem.

Thanks for any suggestion!

zhi

Reply to
zhi

When is the last time you changed the trans oil and filter. Even if it was recently do it again.

Reply to
m Ransley

I juist bought this car and found that the previous owner didn't change the transmission oil in the two years they owned this car. I don't have records from the earlier records.

These days the problem seems is fixed by itself. It drives normally again.

I have no idea about how often I should change the transmission oil. In the manual seems it just says about changing oil regularly, and changing transmission oil only for "driving under special conditions". I think this car was only used for regular driving (shopping, etc), although it ran about 3000 miles per month for the previous owner.

I am not sure whether changing transmission oil is a common procedure and what will be the cost for that?

Thank you very much for your reply!

Zhi

Reply to
zhi

Changing the trans oil in a trans that has problems is not reccomended. take it to a mechanic for a trans inspection.

Reply to
justinm930