Worn valve seals

Yeah, a lot of these good ideas came from old-timers. Nissan had copied a Mercedes 4cyl engine in their infancy, of course Toyota copied Borg Warner transmission designs and started having problems with the new gear-skipping U-series when they got "creative".

Many in the tuner circle won't let a shop touch their cylinder heads unless an Italian Serdi 3.0 machine is on site. And today's BMWs use no throttle plates -- the accelerator pedal controls continuously- variable valve lift. Bosch Motronic piezoelectric injection systems can create a stratified fuel charge (>64:1 air:fuel ratio) in the cylinder with rich mixture next to the spark plug and lean mixture towards the cylinder wall etc etc.

I bet tomorrow's stem seals are going to cost an arm and a leg! But mine would do with a $30 Fel-Pro set waiting on the shelf. :)

Reply to
johngdole

Nissan also copied Mercedes' independent rear semi-trailing arms suspension in the old 510 sedans. That was pretty neat.

I did not know that the state-of-the-art of the internal combustion engine was so advanced. OTOH, my gut feeling is that soon, the cars of the future will be much simpler - with electric motors powered by fuel cells.

david

Reply to
dsi1

Absolutely, IMO very soon most if not all cars will be some form of hybrid on the path to clean energy.

Of course, if you want a production hybrid that emits essentially only water vapor while maintaining "superior driving dynamics", you can always drive a 2007 BMW Hydrogen-7 (a modified production 7-series running on gas or liquid hydrogen). ;) ;) ;)

johngdole

======= I ran one application of auto-rx couple years ago, didn't hurt, didn't see an improvement, but recently after adding Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer to Mobil 1 fully synthetic 10W30, oil use has been reduced.

4 cyl. 175,000 miles. Oil level perhaps 1/8" below full line after 2,000 miles. I began adding Lucas to prevent the blue smoke on cold start around 85,000 miles. Haven't seen it since. Just recently I switched to the Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer even though I've been running Mobil 1 all along, and I like their synthetic version even better. While I do my own work on the car including the timing belt, water pump, oil seals, wouldn't seem worth it to me to pull the cam shafts to replace valve guide seals. Especially since they're giving me no problem.
Reply to
Daniel