xm radio on Camry

I just bought a new Camry with XM radio installed. These radios are supposed to display information such as the name of the track and the recording artist. Mine shows only a couple of words and does not scroll, so you can't see the whole description. You get things like "Theme from..." and "Anthony ...".

Is this just the way the Camry xm's work, am I missing an instruction, or do I have a defective radio?

Dean Geuras

Reply to
Dean Geuras

Book seys to "push and hold the text button until you hear a beep".

That should get you the rest of the message.

Reply to
Goat

Originally, XM's text display was limited to 16 characters. They have changed it to 32, but some receivers still don't get but 16 as the change just happened in the last few months. I have a Nissan FX and the Nissan unit doesn't display the full text, either.

Some allow scrolling; don't know about your's.

It is an annoyance at first, but you get over it quickly. The value of having the dealer unit more than makes up for the 32 character display on the aftermarket units.

Reply to
frontmed

I think that mine is one of the non-scrolling ones. Pushing "Text" doesn't seem to do anything.

Why is the dealer unit better than the aftermarket? I am thinking about adding an XM to another car that does not currently have it and is not XM-ready.

Reply to
Dean Geuras

Because the dealer unit is fully integrated into your car's audio system. If you have steering wheel controls, they work. The sound is better, unless you have some ability to hardwire an aftermarket unit into your other car or you want to replace the headunit.

I wouldn't discourage you -- we have two cars with aftermarket units. But I much prefer the dealer installed Nissan since it integrates with the controls as well as the Nav screen. Also, the wireless modulators aren't ever going to sound as good as hardwired -- although the XM wireless mods are the best I've seen for anything.

BTW if you're adding additional units be sure to get the "family plan" pricing of 6.99.

Reply to
frontmed

Thanks for the information.

I already have the radio on the family plan, and I would like the option of using it in my car as well as in my home boombox. I will probably do it because Best Buy installs the set up for about $130. I will not expect as good sound, though, as you suggested.

Reply to
Dean Geuras