Yokohama AVID TRZ tires

Never realized tires could result in such an improvement in handling. Also nice that they have a 700 treadwear rating, reasonable price, asymetric tread and advanced rubber compound. Just very pleased with the new tires. Traffic has really been increasing in my area, and am somewhat amazed at how much more capable the car is of handling darting city traffic.

From Tirerack.com reviews under driving style "spirited" (not my words

- but I like what he said)

--------- Second set of Yokohams. First set was for a GMC Yukon. Same event occurred. The steering became much more solid and responsive, the car felt more solidly attached to the ground. The engine got seemingly louder because the road noise actually dropped. I hardly glanced at any other tires when I selected these. I already knew the price would be great and it was. I do not understand why anyone spends double the money for Michelins which have less favorable ratings. I am a Yokohama fan for life.

Reply to
Daniel

They must have improved the rubber compound with silica, making them more like the Michelins.The earlier Avids used to have very poor thread wear and less than satisfactory ride (that's why I didn't pick them looking through TireRack), making the Avids much less appealing than the energy efficient Michelins (your car rolls more easily and coasts farther but you give up some performance because of it).

I'd be interested if the Yokohamas weren't speed rated at T. This is lower than the H and V ratings common to later years. Guess I'd stick with the Michelin Green-certified Energy Plus. ;)

Here is a review from a Ransey, NJ Sienna owner on TireRack:

Yokohama AVID TRZ (Standard Touring All-Season) Reviewer's Overall Rating: 8

2004 Toyota Sienna LE FWD Miles driven on tires: 2,000 Location: RAMSEY, NJ Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City Driving Style: Average

I bought these tires because they were inexpensive and supposed to last

80K miles. However, the ride is inferior to the OEM tires that lated only 26K miles. Next time I will spend more money and buy Michelins

-- Review Submitted 2006-08-13

Daniel wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

============== You're certainly entitled to your opinion, no problem there. Personally have never been tremendously impressed with Michelin. Overall the Energy Plus on Tire Rack has a 5.6 rating out of 10, people saying they "possibly" would buy the tire again, whereas with over a million miles the reports on the TRZ are uniformly "superior" and "excellent" overall ranking is number one in its category. Actually, even though I wouldn't be interested, the Energy plus is not available in my 70 aspect ratio size. The first review on the Energy Plus reads: After 105,000 miles and 5 years, there is still a decent amount of tread left. If you want your tires to wear forever this could be it. But I must say these tires have very very bad handling, and a lot worse in rain. Hydroplaning almost killed me twice on the freeway;Lots of wheel spin during acceleration; tires squeak easily at turns and lots of understeer. First review on TRZ says: I previously hadn't cared about what tires I purchased. I bought the OEM tires b/c they were cheaper and the dealership said that would work best for the car. I went out on a limb and bought these Yokos, even though the dealership said they wouldn't ride the same. They were right...the ride isn't the same, its amazing. Lower noise level, amazing change in the steering response and ride comfort, and the cornering is 100x better! I live in WI so Im really looking forward to seeing how the winters are. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these to anyone. Another said: This tire sticks to the road like rubber cement under any road condition in northern Michigan. Wow, what a great tire!! And a third review reads: This is simply the best set of tires I have ever owned. Ive racked up a lot of miles on Michelins...if I had only known. I was only commenting that I was surprised that tires would affect handling to such a degree. I thought perhaps the rubber compound, tread pattern and tread life might be improved, but am very pleased to discover the car moves so much better.

Reply to
Daniel