01 Tacoma V6 mileage

I post the message below several months ago and got many responses from people experiencing the same behavior. Now, I have noticed my Tacoma is getting terrible gas mileage, especially when the weather is cold. On the highway, I am lucky to get 17. I have a friend who has the exact same truck and his gets 20-21.

Any ideas?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Anyone out there experience starting problems with their V6 Tacoma's? I had mine in twice to the dealer while in warranty, but got the typical response from Toyota Customer Service: No problem found/Normal Operation.

Anyway, when I crank the truck it will acts like it is going to start, at the point were you normally release the key, then it dies. The only way to get it started is to "crank through" this behavior and hold down on the starter. The truck has never failed to start, but this is embarrassing and ridiculous for "Normal Operation" in a newer vehicle.

deadbolt67

What was the best mileage you ever got? I'm disappointed in my '01 4x4 mileage too...19 city, 21 hwy. But I have just accepted the fact that it's a 4x4 truck and keep reminding myself that I didn't buy it for the gas mileage.

JC

The absolute best I have ever seen is 18.9. Recently though, I have seen

16.4 with a combination of highway and city driving (but, very little stop/go type of conditions). It seems that pure highway driving does not produce any significant gains at all. And, most definitely, the colder weather here seems to have an impact.

deadbolt67

My '97 3.4 4x4 has always been about like that. It will do 25MPG at 55-60 MPH, and it drops rapidly above 65. About 16-17 at 80 MPH. And always around

17 in town. You are driving a 4x4 you know, and one with a lot of air underneath. They are rated for 17-21 or something like that.

Reply to
Dan G

Do you live somewhere where the station's use 'winter' gas. I lose a good

1 - 1.5 mpg from having to use oxygenated gas in the winter.

There is an issue with the newer Tacoma's (03-04 mostly) about starting issues. Your 01 is the same, and probably has the same problem. The fix has to do with a new wiring harness and ground strap.

Here is some more info... the first post has a link to the actual TSB also...

Good luck!!

dave

Slow down. Try running below 60 indicated on two lane for a while and see if that improves your mileage as a test. It does mine. If so, then you have your answer.

-paul

Reply to
Paul Cassel

My '87-4x4-4 cyl-170K truck has developed a whine in the front end.It sounds like it is coming from the right front.It may be belt scream but it also may be a wheel bearing.It appears each time just about the time I should shift gears in the 5 spd transmission.I shift..It stopped.I get to shifting range it starts again and goes away when I shift.It also appears when I am dogging down a hill in a lower gear through the snow. Any ideas?I will spray the belts when it warms a little but it has been doing it lately now matter what the temperature. Vince

Reply to
Vencil Selvage

From what you're describing the noise is dependent on engine speed and not road speed, that rules out a bad wheel bearing. Check your belts.

Reply to
Mike

I'm in the 16 mpg range with the cold weather in my 2003 V6 4WD. Not much you can do about it I guess except fill up more often.

Reply to
Tacoma Dude