02 4runner speed governer/limiter

how do you remove the speed limiter/ governer from an 02 4runner

Reply to
Robert

Why would you want too.

And what state/country do you live > how do you remove the speed limiter/ governer from an 02 4runner

Reply to
Eddie

Whats it limitied to?

Reply to
Scotty

Its computer controlled, so you would need to reflash it.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Reply to
Robert

Even if you removed the speed limiter, I doubt you would be able to go a lot faster. Just becasue it reaches the maximum in third doesn't imply that it would go a lot faster in fourth. I've had several vehicles that actually reached there top speed in less than top gear (1981 Audi Coupe, 1986 Mercury Sable). With only 183 HP, I am surprised you could get to 109 mph in any gear. If this is a typical Toyota engine, you probably have to have it turn a fair number of RPMs to get the power, so there is some chance the vehicle might actually be slower in 4th gear.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

Reply to
Robert

Kind of off topic, but a friend of mine had a 1951 Plymouth business coupe. It was stock with a flathead 6-banger and three on the tree. The thing would do about 60 MPH in second, but only 55 in third...

It was always a source of amusement... :>))

Reply to
TOM

My best guesstimate is that with the standard 183 Hp, the 4Runner should be capable of around 115 mph assuming near perfect top speed gearing. To get another 10 mph (125 mph) you would have to have over

230 Hp. Is your supercharger adding that much? And if it does, now long can you maintain that power level without overheating the engine (assuing you still have the OEM radiator)? It would take close to 260 Hp to get to 130 mph.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

I like your dedication to the math but Im sure that with 200Hp you could easily get to 130 MPH, my old 1588 Pommie shitbox with poor aerodynamics got to 135 and that only had 110 Hp at the rear wheels.

Reply to
Scotty

when my 4runner was stock it maxed out about 106mph. with the supercharger I have 260hp and have not been able to max it out due to the speed limiter

Reply to
Robert

I was talking flywheel horsepower, not rear wheel horsepower. A 4Runner not only has poor aerodynamics, but it has a lot of frontal area. I have no idea what a 1588 Pommie is, so I can't comment on whether or not it is reasonable that it could get to 135 with only 110 Hp at the rear wheels (which is probably around 130 at the engine). My 1975 Datsun 280Z supposedly had 140 Hp and it would not top 120 on level ground, although I did once manage to get to 125 on a long downhill run. My 1981 Audi Coupe couldn't do much more than 105 mph with only

100 Hp. My 2001 Mustang GT would exceed 135 mph with 265 flywheel horsepower (I have no idea how fast it might have gone since 135 was all I was willing to try). Of course top speed is not just maximum engine horsepower and aerodynamics. To get the maximum top speed you also have to be geared properly. My Audi Coupe was faster in 4th gear than 5th. I could run the engine past the power peak in 4th gear, but it I shifted to 5th, I'd drop the rpms so low, it would actually loose speed.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

Hugh. My stock 87 Supra is only 200hp (7mge) and runs right to the rev limiter in 5th just like any other gear. That's around 140mph.

My 1967 El Camino had around 160rwhp and would tow a ski boat at 100 mph without much effort. lol Good luck stopping though....

Reply to
Danny Greaves