02 Highlander Heat ALWAYS ON?

Turning the temperature control dial on the console has no affect on cabin air temperature. Fresh/recirculate doesn't matter. Once the engine warms up, the airflow it's always HOT. Tried running the AC but that is hot as well. This problem just started a few weeks ago after a "routine" oil change at the dealer (hmmm). Engine coolant temperature normal, not overheating at all. About 62K miles... I'm stumped. Is there a sensor gone wrong here?

Any ideas? Thanks in advance...

Reply to
jboucher

Look on top of the engine for a vacuum hose pulled loose or plastic vacuum line broken. Many of the heater/AC controls are vacuum operated and if this is the case the controls won't operate. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Thanks... I'll look it over this weekend...

Reply to
jboucher

I didn't find any obvious loose vacuum hoses on top of the engine or near the air filter assembly...

Any other ideas?

Reply to
jboucher

I'm not 100% on the actual layout on your vehicle but the only other thing I can think of is a loose or inactive controller or a cable off a lever on one of the blend doors. Usually they are on the passenger side under the dash. Many times you can see what actually controls the blend door by looking under dash and hopefulle seeing something off or loose. There should be two blend doors: one for temp and one for defrost/heat. If you can see two try both controls to determine which is which. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Forgot to add: most of the time the blend doors controller will be a lever with a cable attached that comes from the control head in the dash or a vacuum controller with a vacuum hose that comes from the control head. On my 01 Tundra the controls are cable actuated so I suspect yours are the same. On mine I have to pull the knobs off by pulling straight out and there are two or three screws to remove. Also up under the top edge of the panel there are two screws found by pushing the air vent all the way in at the top. You may have a broken control head, which should be easy to check by taking the head out. I don't know how to take the head out on yours. It might come out the same as above or possible info on

or google for it. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

I nioticed driving today that with the dial on "blue" cool, the temp wavered cool to hot and back... If I moved the dial one increment sometimes the temp would change... weird... Kind of supports your theory of something in the dash... I'll keep looking...

Reply to
jboucher

I wenr to tundrasolutions.com and I think others are having the same issue... It sounds more daunting then simple... I'm awaiting a reply... Thanks davidj92...

Reply to
jboucher