02 Tundra oil pressure

Where should the oil pressure gauge be at idle? Mine sits at about

25% and that scares me. Going down the road I'd say it sits at about 66 to 75%.
Reply to
Walrus

My '03 6 cyl does the same thing. It is normal, however, I believe that there is a TSB that replaces the sending unit.

Best regards,

RG

Reply to
RG

Same here, '02 with 23,000 miles. Mobil1.

Reply to
Bob H

No problem; all of our trucks pressure gauges read the same. This is the way it's supposed to be. Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

When the engine is idling, there isn't much load on the bearings so the oil pressure doesn't have to be high. As engine speed increases so does the load and so does the oil pressure (since the oil pump is driven by the camshaft).

Reply to
bearman

The owners manual sais its perfect.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

That's fine. By the book, anywhere above "0" at idle is fine, and anywhere above 25% when running is fine.

The story that I've heard (not confirmed) is that Toyota oil pressure gauges do not actually start at 0 psi... they start around 20-25psi.

Every Toyota I've ever been in was like that... great pressure when running, and especially after extended freeway runs, drops like a rock at idle.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

My 03 Land Cruiser (4.7L V8) reads 25% at idle, about 50% at 2000 rpm. It will occasionally get to 75% at high rpm's. Before I bought this one, I drove 3 other 03's and they all did the same.

The operators manual specifies 0 (bottom mark, probably not actually zero pressure) to 75% at idle, and 25% to 100% during "normal driving" (whatever that means).

Toyota obviously doesn't have much confidence in the accuracy of the gage.

Does anybody know what the actual pressure numbers are on the gage?

Dick Ballard snipped-for-privacy@att.net

Reply to
Dick Ballard

What are you talking about, do you have some prototype gauge that has actual PSI on it or something?

Reply to
MDT Tech®