03' 4 RunnerSport V6 vs V8 cant decide...Pros and Cons

Okay,

V6 versus V8 which one? Pros and Cons Any info appreciated preferably from '03 owners.

Thanks.

Vince

Reply to
Vince DiGiorgio

v-8 - more torque and 5 speed tranny.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

V8 more & gas more $. Unless you are pulling heavy trailer or hauling 5 folks up hills V6 is great.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Easy, if you pull a trailer on a regular basis get the V-8, if not get the

  1. > Okay,
Reply to
Jack Dotson

V8 has a better transmission and better resale value.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

getting 20mpg US highway, 89 octane plenty 'o nuts

get the 8 for brag factor, higher op costs, higher insurance, better exhause tone, betcha the 5speed is nice

Reply to
Bob H

and has won numerous engineering awards for design and efficiency. OTOH, the 8 is less fuel efficient and pollutes slightly more at the tailpipe, and doesn't enjoy VVT. It is a heavier (cast iron block), older design in need of updating. It is however a lively, eager performer, which, when regularly flogged to the redline, will loosen up nicely and provide even greater pleasure.

Not everyone lives where your friend does. Maybe your friend's rates are higher comparatively. Perhaps he/she does.

Gee, I drove both, and I must say they both shift fine. As for the buttery smoothness, I'd say they both shift that way. The butteriness in either case depends largely on what one is doing with one's foot, I would hazard.

Reply to
Bob H

There is a reason why engine blocks are best built out of iron. They handle insane amounts of stress. Also, we're talking about 1-2 mpg lost for much better off-the-line speed.

The V8 has plenty of awards too.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

If you can afford a 2003 4 runner, you can afford the extra 1-3 miles to a gallon. Also, because the tranny is a 5 speed, vs a 4 speed in the V-6, in highway driving I am equal to a v-6, sometimes beating him by 1 mile. I have a friend with a v-6, and we go off-roading 120 miles away...

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Often times, you'll find that vehicles with lots of cubes and lots of torque get the transmissions with lots of gears. I remember when the Corvette came out with the 6-speed tranny (in the 1980's?). I had a '78 Datsun B-210 with around 70HP and a 4-speed. A guy at work bought a new 'vette with around 400 HP and a 6-speed. It always seemed to me that cars with smaller, lower powered engines would benefit from more gears to better match the engine speed to the car speed. Higher torque engines could get by with fewer gears and let the torque of the engine take care of it.

I know, I know, generally speaking, more gears improves performance of most cars, but it still seemed funny to me.

I don't want anyone to get their knickers in a knot, I'm just having some fun... :>))

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM

This engine should provide the performance you're looking for... :>))

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM

More horse power in the 6, which translates to better riding in heighr speeds. 8-cycl has more torque. IMHO, if you're not pulling anything heavy the 6 works fine.

Steve

Reply to
slope7NOSPAM

Actually, you are quite wrong. The V8, because of the 5th gear, has a top speed of over 20mph more than the V6 - something like 130mph.

The V8s ratios are much better and the thing flies in passing compared to the V6. The problem is that in the V6, you have to downshift to 3rd to accelerate. One choice. On the V8, you can go to 4th or even 3rd(!) at highway speeds to pass.

It's also faster 0-60 due to the better transmission.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

The V6 has chain, not belt ($600 worth right there). Oil filter replacement is a breeze.

Reply to
DTT

I think it's a chain-link belt. Wondering if that needs replacement?

Reply to
Bob H