'03 Tundra swap 16" for 17" wheels?

2003 Tundra Limited 4X4 TRD 4.7L. Automatic I am considering swapping my stock 16" Tundra wheels for 17" Tundra wheels ( and I assume they will physically fit under the truck ). A friend tells me thinks that will completely foul-up the Engine and Tranny functions, but I am thinking that the only differnence will be a small error in the Speedo function. Does anyone have an opinion or advise about such a swap?

Thanks. Larry

Reply to
Larry Starr

P265/65-17" tires are 30.7" outside diameter. P265/70-16" tires are 30.6" O.D. The tires have 9/32" of usable tread depth....0.28". The 0.1" difference in original O.D. is meaningless.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Larry,

I have seen some Tundras with 245/70-16's. What size are your tires? As Ken wrote, 265/70-16's are about the same as 265/65-17's. The 245's have an

29.5 O.D, about a 4% difference.

Ellis

Ken Shelt> P265/65-17" tires are 30.7" outside diameter.

Reply to
Ellis Villafuerte

There should be no problem with fit. The 2003 Tundra Limited came with 265/65 R 17s, unless you got the TRD off road package. That package swapped the 17s for 16s.

Since the vehicle was available with 17s, the speedo error (if any) should be easily correctable.

Reply to
Leonard

No different than, say going from the 245/70/16 on the base model to the 265/70/16 on the TRD, or some guys going to 285s for offroad...

It will introduce some speedo error, but only if the tire is a larger diameter. Your stock 265/70 is 30.6" diameter. Going to a 285/60/17 will put you at about 30.5, assuming you can get the right offset to get a 285 to fit (not sure if it'll fit the Toyota 17" rim.)

Other than that, maybe a little loss of MPG around town, maybe a little better MPG for open highway, and maybe a little less "balls" climbing long grades... but the 4.7 seems to have enough power to overcome that (it's not a Taco with a 2.4).

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

That's base model and non-TRD. TRD models come with 265/70-16

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

My 03 step side or flare side 4WD, whatever you want to call it, came with W/P265/65R17 tires.

Reply to
WRH

I have a 03 Taco 2.7 and had 15in wheels and 225 tires that came with it. I bought TRD wheels off ebay, 16in, and a set of BFG AT's, 265's. I went from

28.3 to 30.6 inches. The only time I notice the disadvantages is going though snow (the 10in wide tires floats and is hard to cut through, put my smaller wheels/tires on in winter) and on steeper grades on the highway. Other than that, ok to me.

The sticker in the door says I can put 265's on it as a max tire size.

I know its not a Tundra, but I had the same questions here a year ago.

Reply to
Brad P

The 2.7 is a pretty potent motor compared to the old 22RE :)

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

Depends on the TRD package. My TRD package came with the 265/65 17s.

Reply to
Leonard

I run a 285/75/16 on my 01 tundra 4wd. have a 1 inch lift. It make a 5mph difference in the speedo. If the speedo says 60 I am really going 65. Notice better gas mileage on highway.

Reply to
fishman