Reply to
simpsonjcat7

Does the service schedule in the manual recommend valve adjustments?

Have you done them?

Reply to
Valued Corporate #120,345 Empl

There are some 2.4L tacos with "piston slap" because of poor production line tolerance issues with various toyota engines, including the 3.5L V6 used on lexus. Your case may be a loose valve clearance. If the noise comes from the bottom of the engine then it may be piston slap or bearing knock.

Not sure if valve adj is warranty. But see if you can get it serviced while under the powertrain warranty. Call Toyota 800 line if neessary.

Old 01-03-2007, 12:28 PM heads2 Registered Member

My Garage My Dealer : Kenny Kent Toyota

2003 Toyota Tacoma

Default Re: Engine noise on col startup I'm back and Dealer is ordering me a new short block... chatter is a piston problem NOT a oil issue. They tried a carbon blast at the suggestion of the tech line.... but Dealer says highly usually so if your Tacoma is chattering on startup and stopping 10-15 sec after warm up beware... 4 cyclinder piston problem could be the ticket... Full Warranty job with rental only 33 k on motor.. Reply With Quote

Reply to
johngdole

I've never been under the hood of a Tacoma, but I am assuming it is an overhead cam. There are no lifters in there.

Reply to
Long Ranger