'04 Tacoma Early Impressions

Well, I've had my 2004 Tacoma Prerunner, 2WD (with TRD package) for about a month now. Here's my early impressions of it. This is the first truck I've owned in years after nothing but 4-door sedans, the last being a Mitsubishi Diamante.

Pros Somewhat comfortable ride with seats that are not too stiff like those on the Ford Ranger but not mushy either. Half way decent gas mileage. Overall, it's getting about 17 mpg. No rattles, squeaks or leaks yet. Nothing cosmetic or mechanical that I had to bring back to the dealer to fix. Amazing that I can't find a thing wrong with it.

Cons Engine or transmission howls especially at sustained 30 mph. Howls is the best word I could come up with to describe the sound. Very irritating. Air conditioner doesn't seem to keep the cab cool enough even with the fan set on high. Boring. With the bland interior and mediocre exterior styling, the Tacoma just does not do much for me. The ride is comfortable but on some stretches of the highway it has a tendency to lunge and bounce. I've never felt this before on the same stretches of highway in our sedans. Center arm rest is too small and too far back. No rear entry doors (XTRACAB). Now I know why Ford put them on the Ranger and later F150. They would be real convenient, not having to re-adjust the seat every time putting things in the back. No rear cargo light. I can't honestly say that I needed it yet but knowing that it's not there bugs me especially when other manufacturers include them. Bucket seats don't have any side supports. I find myself pushing me left knee against the door for support around turns. What is that little 2-hole platform thing in the back on the passenger side?

Well, that's it for now. Please feel free to add or subtract from the list to match your experiences.

Reply to
Steve

It's a cupholder, with little fold down legs under it. I think it's really a stupid place for it, and also where they put the ashtray is a poor design. It's very unhandy to empty with the gear shift right there, but other than that I love my 2004 Tacoma Prerunner so far. Have had it for about three months.

-- Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Oh, so that's what it isl. Yah, stupid place for it.

Reply to
Steve

It's also a support for a child's car seat if you need to install one. The back bench isn't deep enough on its own.

Susan

Steve wrote:

Reply to
Susan
04 Double Cab / TRD/SR5---1500 miles

I'd agree with the howl. I'm not sure what speed it is at but I've never had a truck before either. A few months ago I drove a friend's F-150 ... What a piece of crap. If the Tacoma drove like that, I'd be driving a Camry or Avalon now.

My A/C is good (upstate NY... and it has been a cool summer) so you might want to have it checked out.

Quick question.... Where is your Temp Gauge needle once the engine is warm? Mine sits just past center and the service manager says it is normal unless it gets to the red area.. duh!

Reply to
Mike R

I think they look great too.

I like my interior, wish it had an oil pressure gauge though

trucks tend to bounce in the rear, they'll light in the back until you haul a ton of stuff

get a toolbox for small things and you wont have to mess with putting stuff in the back that much

me too, bucket seats could be better.

cup holder, cargo tray, you could lay a briefcase down flat with the tray extended for example

Reply to
TacomaDude

Mine does too. I've been wondering about it myself.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Actually rides better with several hundred pounds in the back. Is AC set on recirculate??

My older Yota PU has the SR5 bucket sets (cloth actually says SR5 in pattern) -- they are more like costly Recaro seats with good support. Be happy you didn't get the bench seat -- its awful on long trips.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Hard to say where center is located based on the location of the idiot light. I can say though that the needle is almost perfectly horizontal.

Reply to
Steve

I think the lunge and bounce thing is because of the TRD package. My '93 SR5 has a much smoother ride then a friends '04 Prerunner 4x4. Mine is stock with KYB shocks in the front and he has the TRD package. It could be that my springs are old and warn out, but I can keep up a much higher speed on the dirt roads. He gets bounced around much more.

Can anyone verify that the TRD package is more then just shocks and a locking rear diff? Not counting the stickers.

Also, lowering your tire pressure helps a ton. I run 26psi fronts (what it says on the door) and 26 rear(says 36 on door). I don't hull rocks in the bed. :)

-Eddie

Reply to
Eddie

Hmm.. tire pressure. I hadn't thought of that. I'll check it today.

Reply to
Steve

Eddie wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@spamatall.com:

On the 03 you got alloy wheels, were forced into power windows and locks along with SR5 package. but mechanically sping packs and front coils were softer also giving a half inch lower ride height. Shocks ended up being stiffer too for better onraod handling and work great when banging the bumps. Running lower tire pressures is good but makes the truck kinda sway in the corners.

Reply to
Steel Pig

I have 8,400 miles on my 04 extra cab 4x4 TRD with manual trans. I've had it only since November of 04. I'm getting about 20-21 MPG. My daily commute is about 90 miles from 3,500ft to sea level and back. Not much city driving. I use the AC 50% of the time.

That's my c> Eddie wrote in

package.

Howls

little