'04 Tacoma - Harsh downshift to 1st

I am the proud owner of a 2004 Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab 2WD.

6 Cyl, 4-speed electronically controlled Automatic transmission. 16" wheels. It now has about 4500 miles on it.

Has anyone experienced a harsh downshift? It seems to be intermittent when downshifting to 1st when coming to a stop, and sometimes after stopping. At first I thought it might have been the brakes but I have ruled them out. It doesn't seem to make any difference if I stop rather hard or a very smooth, soft stop. It feels like someone bumps the back of the truck. The first couple of time it happened that's exactly what I thought happened. Once in a while it will do it just as I release the brakes. I haven't been back to the dealer yet, hopefully I'll have time to get it back next week or so. Any input greatly accepted and appreciated.

Thanks, PJ

Reply to
PJ

It sounds like you may be experiencing axle wrap. This is very common on Tacoma's. Since there leaf springs are mounted on top of and not below the rear axle. It is caused by the rotational force of the axle twisting the leaf springs when you are braking. Then when you stop or let up on the brakes to start out, the springs will jump back to their original shape. This causes a "thud" or it feels like you got bumped in the rear. You can tell if that is your problem by slowing down gradually at stops and not braking hard when possible. This should bring the reoccurence to virtual nil. Also it helps to have the driveshaft greased often. A great site for Tacoma owners is

make sure you check out the forum.

Reply to
BB TACO