04 Tacoma steering play

Small amount of play in steering wheel. Problem is at the wheel, since if I hold steering shaft above pedals steering wheel is loose to shaft. How do I remove wheel [airbag] cover to access the attach bolt?

Reply to
blackdog

Are you sure the steering wheel is loose to the shaft. The shaft should be two pieces so it can collapse in a collision, the play may be between the two sections.

The first step before working on the airbag system is to disconnect the battery. This will erase your radio memory and you may need your radio code to make your radio operational again. The airbag fasteners are on the back side of the steering wheel. Remove the fasteners and the airbag will just pull off the steering wheel. When you get the airbag out of the way the reast should be obvious.

Reply to
Mike

SLight correction.... Disconnect the battery AND GO HAVE A CUP OF COFFEE. Leave some time to make sure the trigger is fully discharged.

-SP

Mike wrote:

Reply to
Speedy Pete