'04 Tundra - Passenger side airbag shutoff?

In my search for information regarding 04 Tundras, it has been published on quite a few of the "price estimate" sites that the passenger side air bag on the 04 Tundra double cab can be switched off. A salesman at a dealership told me no. Who's right?

TIA,

grant

Reply to
Grant Baxter

Michael J. Gulley

Double cab might not, 'cuz you can put kids in the back. Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Reply to
Michael J. Gulley

When the debate is between something in writing and something a salesman says, the salesman is ALWAYS wrong.

It can be disabled using the ignition key.

Salesmen have told people that the Tundra is standard with 4-wheel disk. Salesmen have told people that the Tundra gets better MPG than the sticker.

Salesmen are wrong quite often.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

Go to a dealer and look for yourself.

Reply to
Chips

Where is this located? I want to show the salesman.

grant

Reply to
Grant Baxter

I thought you could turn it off in the extended cab models only. Not the double cabs. That is for allowing you to put an infant seat in the front of the extended cab. At least that's the way the Tacoma's are equiped.

Reply to
BBTACO

Wow--talk about understatement! You're being too nice! ;-)

The salesman who was selling me my new Tundra two years ago, when the subject of Consumer Reports came up, claimed that CR took ads for autos, and so shouldn't be relied upon.

The sales manager, who'd come to his aid with this heels-dug-in customer and his missus, nodded solemnly in agreement.

My wife and I, subscribers to CR since 1963, were absolutely floored by their chutzpah! We just sorta rolled our eyes and laughed.

Last year, when we bought her a RAV4 we went to a broker.

--John W. Wells

Reply to
John W. Wells

Hey Rich, where is the switch? In my '04 double cab there isn't a keyed switch next to the ac controls like I have seen in pictures of the access cabs. I cant find any info in my manual either about disabling it either. Maybe some combination of off and on switching with the ignition or something? I'd be interested in knowing this if anyone figures it out. Thomas

Reply to
rcltrh

Passenger side of the center console, right below the AC vent. There's a keyhole there. Turn the key and the passenger airbag light will remain on.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

That could very well be true. I still don't trust salesmen to give me accurate information :)

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

LOL! I thought I should tone it down and not post how I really feel. One exception would be Dianne and the fleet and shop crew at Carson Toyota. Wish I had bought my '03 Tundra there, and was very happy to buy my '04 Rav4 from her.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

No kidding?

Most likely no disable if there's no key deactivation for it. Interesting... I'm pretty sure my buddy's '03 4 Runner has it, but the '04 Rav4 does not.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

Maybe it isnt in all models? Is yours an 04 doublecab or access cab? In my center console on the passenger side I have the seatbelt warning light, then the rear defroster button, and the cargo light button under the passenger side ac vent, and on drivers side I have the hazards flasher button and a dummy oval that says Tundra. Along the bottom are the 4x4/2x4 buttons along with the ac and air recirc buttons. I have seen the keyhole airbag switch in access cabs, and it is ion the same hole where my passenger seatbelt light is located. Thomas

Reply to
rcltrh

Why would they put a disable switch in? The Double Cab by it's very nature has a full back seat to put 2 or 3 child seats in, where in the standard cabs you might want (or need) to put a child seat on the right.

If you need more child seats than that, you need a Sienna "Mommy Van" or SUV (Soccer-Mom Utility Vehicle), not a pickup truck. ;-P Pickups are for people who do stuff and haul stuff - well, at least occasionally...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

You're right... I got a better look at the DC panel and it is not the same as the AC panel.

Still, if there is a written indication that the bag can be diabled, I'd be looking for a key switch somewhere.... in the glove box, center console... I wouldn't give up. A wiring diagram of the SRS would confirm.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

"Grant Baxter" sez:

The dealership. There is a lockout switch in the Tundra Extended Cabs but NOT in the Double Cab.

Good wrenchin' to ya, VLJ

Reply to
vlj