'05 Tacoma Lift and Tires

I recently got an '05 Tacoma SR5. I've been saving for one since I was

14, now I'm 18. Currently everything is stock. I've been thinking about getting a 3" ToyTec lift, and putting on 33" BFGoodrich All Terrains. My Dad says I will need a longer drive shaft if I do. Is he correct? If so, why? Also, my stock tires are 265/70 R-16 and the 33" BFGs are 285/70 R-17. Will the BFGs be able to fit on my Toyota rims? I didnt think so until I saw a picture of an 05 Tacoma on CarDomain.com that had 33" BFGs on Toyota rims. Now I'm not sure, any help would be great.
Reply to
nickbruyn

I don't know that yoru Pop is right or not, but assuming he is right, here's why.

The distance from the transmission (or transfer case if 4WD) is a set distance. If you raise the vehicle, then you stretch this distance. The output of the transmission (or tcase), or the driveshaft itself, has a coupling that is splined to allow for the axle to move up and down, effectively changing the needed lenght of the driveshaft. When you raise the vehicle, then you are stretching the driveshaft while the vehicle is at rest, and when the axle drops for any reason, then the drive shaft will stretch a bit more and come apart.

The longer driveshaft overcomes the affect of raising the vehicle.

My calculations say that a 285/70x16 is only 31.709" inches, making it a 32" tire. You need a 285/75x16 to get a 33" tire. I don't quite understand why you wouldn't simply get a 33x9.50x16, or whatever.

I feel the need to tell you that you might need to get new gears for your differential(s). The new tires are considerably taller than the stock tires, and this will alter the final drive ratio -- severly reducing power. It will also alter your speedo calibration. A new gear set will fix the power issues by bringing the drive ratio back into line, and probably fix the speedo calibration at the same time. You might need to get a new speedo gear for the transmission (or tcase) to correct the speedo calibration, but this is a very cheap part.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I don't think going from a 31 to a 33 tire is that big a deal. I have an 03

2.7L that came with stock 225's! Before I got the truck, I knew I had to get bigger/better tires than those Dunlops. I too was concerned about going to a 31 (265) that the V6 Tacos came with. But I did, 31 BFG AT's. Besides having to gear down to 4th occasionally on a steep hill, I don't have any complaints at all. My speedo is out, but not by much.

Now, a 3in lift is different. If I recall, you might be able to get away with a 2in lift without having to modify your driveshaft. But for 3in, I would investigate that option more closely.

Reply to
Brad P

Can't help with the lift questions, but my Tacoma came with BFG AT tires. They absolutely SUCKED in snow. I don't mean sometimes, or only when the roads were more slippery than usual. I mean ALL THE TIME. Something to consider if it snows where you live. At your age, you don't need any quirky variables to deal with.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

"Doug Kanter" wrote in news:n6M9f.953$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny:

Crap! I didn't need to hear that! I'm going to be picking up my '06 Tacoma tonight . . . and I live in Ontario. I hope Toyota Canada has a more weather-appropriate tire on the Tacoma line up here.

Reply to
Enar

If you can change them to Nokian WR tires, you'll be happy. They're snow-rated all season tires. Not quite a true snow tire, but I like mine. And, they've not left me stranded in mud, or on extremely slippery boat launching ramps.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

sez:

Well, that'll raise your center of gravity and make the vehicle more prone to rollovers as well as decreasing your fuel economy. The truck in stock trim is already quite capable and you'd be hard pressed to really need more ground clearance unless you're tackling 4 and 4+ rated trails.

In addition, wider tires will be more skittish on snow and ice, narrow tires bite better.

When you lift a truck, the distance from the transmission output increases to the differential input so you need more length on the driveshaft to make the stretch.

No, you cannot put 17" tires on 16" rims or vice versa.

Are you sure those stock tires are BFG All Terrains or are they BFG Rugged Trail T/A skins?

?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Rugged+Trail+T%2FA The Rugged Trail T/A tires were the OEM setup on my Tundra (USA) and they are lame tires. Complete banana peels on snow 'n ice. Since you're up in the north country, I'd pull 'em and put on studded snows before the flakes fly and then swap 'em out and wear 'em out next summer (they'll only go some

30,000 kilometers before they are shot). Then you can shop for fresh rubber ...

VLJ

Reply to
vlj

Nick, First off, I also had the BFG A/T ko's and yes they did suck in snow, and rain also. For about the same price you can get Bridgestone A/T Revo's, probably the best truck tire on the market today. Number one rated tire on the web. Secondly, go to the tire rack, click on tires, then pick a tire, then click on Specs. This site will tell you everything you want to know about what size rim you need for any tire, there is also an infinite amount of information on this site. Study it, do your homework. I see you did your homework on your truck, I think you got the best truck on the market, I also have one, an 05. Good luck.

Reply to
franknlizob

I too can attest to the fact my BFG AT's on 16in alloy rims suck in snow because they are a wide tire and the Taco is a light truck (03 2.7L). I kept the stock rims and 225 tires for winter...night and day difference.

Reply to
Brad P

It depends on which BFG Tire.

I've heard mixed snow reviews on the Long Trails that came on my '05, but mine haven't seen snow yet. They can't be as bad as the Goodyear Wranglers or Firestone Wilderness AT's that came stock on Wrangler and Outback. The Wilderness AT's made a manual tranny'd AWD Subaru Outback, arguably one of the best snow cars ever, lame. The Goodyear Wranglers were OK until about the 5000'th mile, then they sucked totally. A JEEP that sucked in snow, imagine that!

The BFG AT KO's I've put on other vehicles (including the Jeep) have been outstanding in snow.

Reply to
B a r r y

Why are Jeeps terrible in the snow? I have had many neighbors that can't get their Jeep out of their driveway after a storm and have had to shovel them out. I think the only thing Jeep has going for it is the 4WD. The interior space is horrendously small and it's reliability is third from the bottom of all vehicles. Only Cadillac and Corvette are worse.

Reply to
Bob Palmer

Per my mechanic, Jeeps are for people who enjoy diagnosing electrical problems - lots of them, eventually.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

They aren't terrible in the snow, unless they have the wrong tires on them. Your neighbors also probably have automatic transmissions, stock tires, and no limited slip or locker. They're "girlie" Jeeps.

Without the right options, the low gearing and available torque make them incredibly easy for an inexperienced driver to dig them in, DEEP!

Have you ever driven one on the beach, with the doors and top off? Have you ever seen the aftermarket part selection for them?

I think of them as 4WD Harleys. But then again, I'm a mechanical type of guy...

Reply to
B a r r y

The '99 TJ I have now loses the entire instrument cluster at times. If I push on cluster in the vicinity of the airbag light, it all comes right back. It's vehicle character!

Jeeps are fun! Think no doors, no top, driving slow, etc... My Tacoma is for actual practical use.

Reply to
B a r r y

Reply to
Bob Palmer

I don't know if I'd call a 7 year old Wrangler a "status symbol".

The Scooters great for basic transportation. I don't think a Harley or a Wrangler was ever intended as basic transportation.

Reply to
B a r r y

8 zillion soccer mommies can't be wrong. Or, maybe they can. :)
Reply to
Doug Kanter

I have absolutely no idea what you mean.

At least in my area, soccer moms are big on the Suburban, Tahoe, Liberty, Pathfinder, 4Runner, Trail Blazer, Grand Cherokee, etc... They're not all that into 2 door vehicles with lousy back seats, bad stereos, and terrible crash test ratings.

There's quite a difference between a Wrangler and those.

Reply to
B a r r y

Oh yeah...it was the Cherokee I was thinking of. Oops.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Done checking pickups for loads today?

Reply to