'05 Tacoma- no 4 cylinder option?

I hear an ugly rumor that the 2005 Tacoma will only be available with a

6 cylinder engine and that it will be bigger than the current models. Is this true?

If so I don't understand why Toyota is abandoning the economy market. I wonder it the recent upturn in gas prices will make them rethink that decision.

Is the 4 cylinder dead?

Reply to
Sean Elkins

Don't know if the 4 cylinder is dead yet, but I assume it will be after speaking to the dealership Friday. The sales manager told me that the 2005 Tacoma will be the size of a Tundra, and the Tundra will be bigger yet. He also stated that the Tundra will soon have diesel and duelies available.

Methinks that Toyota is trying to aggressively target the domestic buyers, while alienating the current crowd of loyal Tacoma owners. IMHO, I think that it is a dumb move on Toyota's part.

Click here for the Toyota press release

Jim

Reply to
Gott Lieb?

The new Taco is 4" wider in the track and 5" longer in the wheelbase. That's hardly the size of a Tundra. I very seriously doubt the 4 banger is going away, I bet it'll still be standard on the regular cab. I'm sure you can find out in the Toyota website. God, how do you guys start and believe these stupid rumors?

Reply to
?reality

Not, "you guys," but:

"Don't know if the 4 cylinder is dead yet, but I assume it will be after speaking to the dealership Friday. The sales manager told me that the 2005 Tacoma will be the size of a Tundra, and the Tundra will be bigger yet. He also stated that the Tundra will soon have diesel and duelies available."

Hey, if you can't trust a sales manager, who can you trust??? :>))

Reply to
TOM

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 09:40:14 -0700, TOM found these unused words floating about:

Oh ... you mean a sales mangler who accepts an order then weeks later says "You have to add ... to get the vehicle." (Quickly Desert'd)

-or-

A sales mangler who shows, 'sells' one vehicle, then tries to deliver another when you go to pay & pick-up - different color even - and higher priced yet again! (You could Find Lays here!)

Reply to
J. A. Mc.

I stand corrected regarding the 4 cylinder. Click the link for the info

Jim

Reply to
Gott Lieb?

Once again I stand corrected. However, the preliminary specs for the 2005 Tacoma X-Runner are just a hair shy of the 2004 Tundra reg cab.

See for yourself.

BTW, I never said that I completely trusted a sales manager. After my wife and I purchased our Tacoma, we were chit-chatting with him. I mentioned that I heard a rumor (started on this NG) that the 2005 Tacoma was going to be bigger. He said, "Yea, it will be about the size of Tundra. The Tundra will be about the size of a domestic." He pointed at a Dodge. While I assumed that the guy is probably more privy to Toyota's trade info than me, I took what he said as being factual.

Jim

Reply to
Gott Lieb?

I have an '88 Toyota pickup and like the size. It looks like the Taco is pretty close to that size, larger, I'p sure, but still, pretty close. I wouldn't want anything too much larger. Actually, I don't need anything any larger, but that may be academic if the smallest trucl is larger than I need, I guess I'll get used to a bigger truck. I darn sure won't switch brands, not after the service I've had out of my present truck, which I bought new in Feb 1988.

This whole thing could be an exercise in picking pepper out of chicken poop for all we really know at this point...

Reply to
TOM