05 Tacoma Towing

Can anyone tell me if the 05 Tacoma with towing package comes with a weight distribution hitch or a weight bearing hitch?? I'll I've been able to find is that it's a class IV hitch but no other details.

Reply to
anonymous

from

Class 4 Hitch - a trailer hitch with a gross trailer weight capacity of up to 10,000-pounds and a tongue weight of 1,200-pounds.

sounds like a tough hitch and load bearing at 1200 pounds tongue weight

Reply to
PCK

It comes with a receiver (welded/bolted to the frame) as noted above. You may use it with a weight distributing hitch OR a weight bearing hitch.

You will need to buy the parts (which make it a load distributing or bearing hitch) which go into the 2" receiver.

It comes with a prewired 7-pin (standard for bigger trailers) wiring plug and a harness for a brake controller. You will need to buy and install a brake controller if your trailer has electric brakes.

Doug

Reply to
Jamman

I do not think that the 2005 Tacoma has that high of a rating. I think that it is less than 10,000 lbs and a less than a tongue weight of 1,200 lbs.

Reply to
nospam

I seriously doubt that a Tacoma suspension is capable of anything even close to the hitch ratings, I would expect a *safe* limit of something closer to

300-500# tongue weight. Anyone who has loaded a Tacoma knows what I mean. Likewise, towing that much weight would be suicide. Talk about the tail wagging the dog. ;-(

Reply to
Dan G

Thanks for the information. Granted I won't even attempt to reach Class IV limits however the new Tacoma beats the base Ford F150 in terms of towing capacity. 6500lbs max with 650lbs tongue weight. The "tail wagging" was the reason for the question since a weight distribution capable hitch dramatically reduces sway on larger loads. I'm just as surprised as some people are about the new specs for the 2005. Reviewers are even saying that it may not even be considered a "mid-sized" truck anymore and be in it's own class.

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
anonymous

If it's worth $25 bucks or so for you to try an experiment, go to a U-Haul and rent their largest open (uncovered, flat) trailer. I don't recall the weight of that trailer, but towing it with my 02 Tacoma was interesting, and not in a good way. Might not be indicative of how other trailers will behave, but I really don't know. My only long term experience is with towing my own boat, which weighs about 1700 lbs fully loaded. The truck handles it very gracefully.

Reply to
Doug Kanter