05 Tundra Dealer Experience Rant

Just an update that I got the Tundra today - '05 SR5 Access cab with V8/Auto in the sand color. I've got to read the user guide tomorrow. My first Toyota product, I'm pretty excited.

Thanks to all for the feedback. When I get more comfortable with the truck I'll revisit the alarm issue. They were really pushing Lojack, but I'm not familiar how effective or practical that is - will have to do some research first.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Maybe you could let us know the deal you made.

Reply to
Zen Cohen

I started with the Costco buying service which was roughly 2k less than window sticker. That deal fell through over an aftermarket alarm that was not included in the price I was quoted (enough said). I went to a car broker that works with my credit union, and got the same price as Costco, and then it was improved on with the $750 rebate from Toyota.

My 3rd potential source/offer was a dealer in Los Angeles. They offered over the phone an even better price (basically a value leader, same price as another dealer here in San Diego for roughly $23k), however when I mentioned that amount to the broker (maybe I was a fool for doing that), he called the dealer and they said I either misheard them or I was lying. I did not follow up and am not sure who is fabricated this crap, the broker or the dealer.

So I feel I didn't get the best deal, but I got a good deal and I am satisfied. I think everyone made a little money and I saved a little, and that's great.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

My 3rd potential source/offer was a dealer in Los Angeles. They offered

Jonnie, When I bought my Tundra in 2001 I had a $1000 rebate offer that I would get if I took delivery before the end of the month, appx 2 weeks. Local dealer wouldn't move more than $250 off sticker and wouldn't give any holdback money to me. I contacted several dealers and one in Louisville, KY (about 2 hours from me) offered it $1000 cheaper and the rebate. I tried to leverage local dealer and the owner informed me this is called "lowballing". They would offer a cheaper price and when I got there there would be all kinds of mysterious happenings to prevent the sale at stated price, like no inventory, who did you talk to?, made a mistake and etc. He also said if I messed with them too long I would lose my rebate due to the take delivery date. I called the Louisville dealer and informed them if I drove over there and they were lying to me I would sue them for the lost rebate and so on. They bs'ed me for about 5 minutes then said they had sold the last one at that price yesterday. Sounds like this is a common practice no matter where you live. Sounds like you got the best deal to me. Congrats, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

You're right - there's something about car dealerships that remains the same (other than an experience I had with Saturn years ago). Thanks. The truck is so nice I'm quickly forgetting/erasing the dealer bs stuff. I've got a lot of positive comments about it at work too. Parking is like threading a thread in a needle at work because the left and right wheels touch both lines in the parking space - so I'm parking out in the boonies away from all the other cars)... (grin)

Reply to
Jonnie Santos