'06 Tundra V8 - oil foaming?

Has anyone else noticed a foaming buildup on the underside of the oil filler cap on the 4.7L Tundra V8? I do regular oil changes at 3 months or 3000 miles. but notice this seems to happen on a regular basis. The level and appearance of the oil seem fine and its not burning oil at an abnormal rate.

Reply to
Mike W

Frederick Bell

Why do you change oil so soon?

They have changed the formulation of motor oil to increase the life and decrease the consumption rate of natural resources. I believe the recommended change interval is 7500 miles, but I accept that this makes you uncomfortable. I suggest that 5000 miles on a load of motor oil is reasonable. I actually would suggest that the recommended change interval is giving you less life on the oil than it is really good for.

Think of the manufacturer's view. They have to replace the motor if it does not last for the warranty period, so they are going to hedge their position by changing the oil sooner than is needed, rather than later. So, if they say to replace the oil at 7500 miles, logic says it should really last more like 10000 miles. I would not begin to suggest you go 10k on yoiur oil, but I see no reason to not go at least 5k.

If it takes yoiu an year to log 3000 miles, then changing at that interval makes sense, but if you commute to work in this truck and rack up 5000 miles in 4 months, then the longer change interval is called for. You are wasting money and oil to change at 3000 miles, unless it takes a year to log that many miles.

As for the foaming, are you seeing foam, or a few bubbles stuck to the cap? Foam in the oil is normally seen when you pull the dipstick while the motor is running. The oil level at this time is un-readable, but the presence of foam is easy to see. A couple of large bubbles is normal, foam is the presence of lots of bubbles, very tiny bubbles.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Do you do lots of short trips?

Moisture is a normal by product of gas engine operation, and it can build up if not allowed to evaporate. All of my vehicles do this if I don't get them up to normal operating temp and speed, and keep it there for at least 20-30 minutes, on a regular basis.

My commute is only ~ 4 miles, so I normally bicycle to work. Most of my errands are inside the same 3-4 mile circle, so I often bike those, too. When the winter gets extra cold, and the road shoulders are icy, I have to drive, so I see it in the vehicles that only do the short trips. I have a '99 Jeep Wrangler with 59k, had an '01 Subaru Outback, and an '05 V6 Tacoma with 18k, all would display the foaming under the right conditions. I use Mobil 1 in everything.

Pick a grocery store in the next town for your weekly shopping trip. If someone in your house drives farther, you could also swap one day a week.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

I noticed this on my Honda Civic oil cap (Casterol oil)--never considered it to be a problem. Could be moisture. After an hour driving do you still see the foam?

Reply to
Phisherman

Yeah, the common thread I've heard so far is short trips, and I do a lot of them. Glad to hear that its not an unknown issue and others have seen it without any adverse effects. The Tundra is by far the best vehicle I've ever owned, but this was something I've never run into with my previous vehicles. (Mostly GM). Thanks for the info!

Reply to
Mike W

I've even seen it in small piston aircraft that get "ground run" vs. flown.

Ya' gotta' boil off off that moisture!

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

What brand and viscosity of oil are you using?

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

my tacoma did this,, i changed to castrol syn-blend oil and it went away.. it says its formulated for short trips...

troy

Reply to
Troy

Regular Penzoil 5W-30