08 tacoma

Looking to purchase a used 08 Tacoma. My question is, is there any good reason the automatic shift is on the floor instead of the column? I know hte tundra is on the column, and the competetors the ranger and f150 are on the column.

I'm buying this truck to replace my F150 and honda accord with a single vehicle. The f150 is too large for my wife, and the accord is too much front wheel drive and car for me.

A ford ranger is completly out of the question, and i'm not going to steer away from the tacoma because of the shifter, as I like everything else about the truck.

Automatic vs. standard? I always said if i get a small truck, i will get a standard, but also the wife is not interested in that.

Am I going to like the auto compared to the standard... fuel economy / power wise?

thanks

ALso, what are these trucks like with a snowmobile or fourwheeler on the back, or shold i forget about that and get a trailer?

Haven't found my ideal truck yet, as i want the long box quad cab... i've got a guy looking for me.

Reply to
Picasso

Jack

It's because they view the Tundra as a work truck while the Tacoma is viewed more of a toy.

Mileage is not all that great with a standard nd a 4 cyl.

It drops off ,ore with either the auto or the 6 cyl.

If you do buy one, get the entended cab or the 4 door.

I had a reg cab prior to getting my 08 and I'm glad I went with the extended on the 08.

The Tacoma's towing capacity is 3500 pounds, but the double cab can manage 6500 with an enhanced tow package.

I wouldn't put a snowmobile in the back unless you have the TRO package.

Reply to
SnoBrdr

OK, that sounds good. I'm looking at the 4.0L auto 4x4, 4 door TRD, is the tow package something extra on the TRD, or do all TRDs come with the tow package?

To be honest, I don't like a snowmobile in the back of my fullsize... but they fit, and haul them, and ruin your tailgate in the process.

A fourwheeler isn't so bad.

I hate to think of it as a toy, I like to think i'm buying a truck, but something tells me I will find times when the tacoma disappoints me when my F150 doesn't. I really don't haul that much...

Something nice about being able to fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood in my f150 box without it sitting all lobsided... but then again, if i'm having a trailer, I could always haul on that...

hate buying a "truck" and have to still lug a trailer around.

Reply to
Picasso

Not sure what the TRO package is but I have a 2003 4 banger 4x4 5-speed and I've hauled 2 sleds, one in the back on a platform to keep the sled level and off the tailgate (includes ramps to load/offload), and one on a single trailer. Assuming little wind on the highway, I've done alright. Against the wind posed to be a challenge on gas and speed.

Reply to
Brad P