1984 Long bed pickup...no rear bumper?

I just bought a 1984 long bed(japanese...lip with tie downs hooks) pickup and it doesn't have a rear bumper. The seller, who knows the previous original owners, said it's never had a bumper, that it came that way when it was new. That's a bit hard to believe, but what do I know. Does anyone know it this is possible, is there a build-in rear bumper that just isn't too obvious.

I have a rear step bumper from a 1976 Datsun long bed pickup and I'm wondering if it might fit on the Toyota pickup.

John

Reply to
jbclem

Yup they were an option - came in chrome or black. All are step-type bumpers that I've seen. The costly OEM was a little less obvious than the aftermarkey FEY ones (JC Whitney). If ya have brackets from Datsun one and a drill - give it a try. May hit on either side where body juts out though.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Back that far rear bumpers were optional, except for a few states that required them in their vehicle codes. For those states, they simply bolted on the bumper before final sale.

California had the law, but they had no mechanism to check that it was done or punish the dealer for not doing it, so for a long time the law was rarely enforced. Or they'd bolt the bumper on, and take it off a week later to use for the next guy.

The brackets are probably different, as the notches for any protruding body panels, but you can give it a try. Myself, I'd find a used bumper at a junkyard that fits, and if the finish is bad send it out to be re-chromed.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

You're right, the brackets are different...the Datsun pickup ones are shorter. The bumper itself , I'm not sure. It might fit but whereas on the Datsun pickup the bumper is a few inches wider(on each side) than the rear of the truck, on the the Toyota pickup the bumper would be equal or a hair less than the width of the truck. Does anyone know if the Toyota pickup bumpers are equal or wider than the width of the bed?

John

doesn't

never

but

bumper

Reply to
jbclem

Wider. Bought mine new, and it sticks out mebbe an inch on either side of the body.

Mark

Reply to
pheasant