1984 longbed, 22R engine...riveted choke???

I need to adjust the choke on my 1984 pickup but the 3 screws seems to have been replaced with rivets. Does it come from the factory like this?...I notice in my factory repair manual there is no mention of adjusting the choke, but this one seems to be set back and since the choke isn't choking in cold weather, I need to adjust it to see if that'll fix the problem. Any ideas?

John

Reply to
jbclem

John,

Yes, it came from the factory like this. Although I hadn't seen this with Toyota, some mfrs did this to keep owners & mechanics from monkeying with the choke & thereby increasing emissions.

Drill out the rivets and replace them with screws and you'll be able to adjust as needed.

Got a Tacoma? Join spam free

a Corolla? Join spam free

Mike Harris

Thanks for the answer Mike. Only problem is that I'll have to remove the carburator to be able to drill out the rivets, unless I can find a small right angle drill. What a silly way to build a car.

John

Reply to
jbclem

If you can be gentle, yet persuasive with a big set of pliers that can reach around the housing you may can turn it. I have done this in the past and it will turn with some drag, the rivets usually don't pull it up absolutely tight. go slow and gentle.

Reply to
firepumper1