1984 Toyota pickup--starting and/or electrical problems

1984 Toyota pickup with the trusty 22R engine. Had to replace the alternator.Battery's good, but was running out of juice due to alternator not charging. Anyways, pulled in up in the drive, and installed new alternator. But, once everything was back together, only headlights and hazard lights work. Turn the key, and only "charge" light comes on. Had an open fusible link, but managed to work with it to get continuity. Still wondering about the voltage regular. The inside looked fairly clean, but not exactly sure how bad the points might be, even after testing it. Anyways, all other fuses are good, and all connections I've checked so far are good. Now I'm just mad and frustrated. Never run into this in all the Toyota pickups I've owned. Anyone run into this before, seen it on someone else's, or had the same problem of your own? Whatever y'all think it might be, throw it out there. I'm very open to any ideas right now. Thanks.
Reply to
Duke_In_Texas

snip

If everything worked, except battery was not being charged, before you replaced alternator then it should work after replacement. I'd say you've missed a wire or connection somewhere. Go back over all connections and check to make sure they are good, all sockets and pins are good and you didn't miss a wire. Also use a dielectric grease on all plug connections. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

I don't understand what you mean by working with an open fusible link. Continuity in a link doesn't guarantee that it can handle voltage. I'd check the power on both sides of the fusible link circuit and try to bridge the one that was burnt with a large wire. It may cure the problem.

HTH

Dentman Training Solutions Group Box 617,2577 Church St. North Gower ON Canada K0A 2T0 (613) 489-2759 snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca

"It's better to be in the race for a second than to spectate forever."

Reply to
Dave Watchorn