1985 Toyota Pickup.. 3 brand new 22r dealer installed engines and same problem.. Help

Here's my problem. Was given a 1985 Toyota pickup in January. Truck had

130k on it when received. Not two weeks later, the head gasket blew. I have a friend that works at Cain Toyota in Canton Ohio who told me just to swap a brand new engine in it since I didnt pay a dime for the truck. Nine months later, the truck is still sitting at the dealer on its third brand new engine. The problem the truck has, is that it stalls once you come to a stop. You need to give it gas to keep it running. I've replaced the engine 3 times, carburetor 3 times, Everything mechanical in the engine is new. Still doesnt seem to run right.. It runs awesome if I dont stop, once I come to a stop, it stalls. So now were guessing that it might be some sort of computer. We removed a gray box under the dash that says ECM on it. Part #89550-35240. I know this is the emissions control unit but could this little box be causing me all this trouble? The body on this truck is mint (unlike other older toyota trucks ive seen) and I hate to junk this truck. Can anyone suggest anything?? Thanks
Reply to
bob21

Frankly, I can't beleive that any competant mechanic, particularly at a dealership, would swap out a new engine (not to mention 3 of them) without doing a proper diagnostic to discover the cause of the problem. We already know that the block and head of the replaced engines are fine as they run "awesome" except when stopping. There is nothing in the basic workings of an engine -- the pistons, rods, crank, valve train, etc. -- that respond negatively to deceleration.

In any case, you've left out some critical info:

  1. Does the engine idle correctly when first started, or do you have to stand on the gas?
  2. Does this problem only occur when the engine is hot, when cold, or both?
  3. Does the engine stall during deceleration, or just when idling after the vehhile has come to a stop?
  4. Does the engine stall or lose power when hard cornering?
  5. After you're stopped and you've given it gas to prevent stalling, can you ease off the gas to an idle? Or will it still die?

Without the vehicle at hand to examine, and without more detailed info, I can only go with what you've told us so far. But I'd start with a thorough examination of the fuel supply system, beginning with the fuel pick-up in the gas tank and going all the way to the carburetor. Is the fuel pick-up screen clogged? Is the fuel filter clogged? Is the fuel pump delivering the correct pressure and flow? Etc.

Regards, Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

I'm agree with DeepDiver on his assesment of your mechanic. I'd guess you paid a lot more the new engine than what you could have gotten the original fixed for. I'm guessing but on an 85 the ECU would be a minimal computer and can possibly be checked at some parts stores. Ford had a problem with the ECU's in the 80's and they would exhibit some of the symptoms you describe, a lot of parts stores could check them as well. I had an 84 F150 (IIRC) that would die while driving in various situations, while still rolling you could shift into neutral and it would almost always start right back up. ECU's were cheap on that one so did a swap and problem solved. You might be able to get a used ECU at a salvage yard at a cheap price. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

You would think a dealer would have all the answers and equipment. Before taking the truck to the dealer, I realized that it was going to cost me around $1100 for a brand new engine that was only supposed to take 2 days to install. The first engine I helped rebuild from the dealer, when we removed it, alot of JB Weld was in spots, that threw up a red flag.. I've never rebuilt an engine before and had the chance to go there after work and help out. I chose to continue to rebuild instead of getting a new one as this way would cost me alot less than a new one so I took the cheap way out. So the rebuilt engine did the same thing, stalling, misfiring and so on. Got a refurbished engine, installed that one and it did the same thing. Toyota MFG overnighted a brand spanking new 22r engine and we installed that one 12am-2pm the next day.Still the same problem but engine sounded better than rebuilt one. So we new that it was something besides the engine. We removed the dash and traced all wires to the little gray box under the glove compartment. Every wire seemed good up to the box. So we replaced the box, still the same problem. Replaced every damn sensor in the truck, still the same problem. The truck would run, but once it warmed up, it would stall everytime you would put it in gear and so on. So finally, September 9, we decided to replace all the wires with new ones. We ran all the new wires to the little gray box under the dash and wallah we found our problem. WE THINK. On the gray box, theres a plug. Where the plug plugs in, the one metal prong was halfway broken off, so we rigged up a new plug taken from the junkyard and crossed our fingers. She started fine like normal and she warmed up for like 5 min. When she was warming up, we heard the rpms get a little louder, something this has never done before. The true test would come when I put the thing in gear. I put it in gear, and no stalling whatsoever and the thing ran beautifully. What a success. I never knew that a little gray box, could give me all that trouble. This was definitely a learning experience. The other two engines would of been fine, if we would of known to check the box. Best part of it all, I got to learn alot more about this truck and the final bill came to a handshake and get this damn thing outta here!

Reply to
bob21