1986 22r timing chain cover reinstallation

I'm finally getting around to putting my 1986 22r carburated engine back together after replacing the timing chain guides, and, yes, I did take this groups' advice and ordered the steel-backed ones. I ignored both the Haynes manual and the Toyota factory manual and put the head back on before replacing the timing chain cover. One discovery I made is that this approach can, and did, mess up the head gasket as it sits over the cover, and creates a problem inserting the hidden bolt coming into the cover. Therefore, I took things apart, and plan to proceed by installing the cover first. My main concern is that it was a challenge to get the camshaft sprocket on the camshaft, and only by installing the timing chain dampers or guides after getting the sprocket on could I get enough chain slack to get the job done. I'm not going to be able to do it that way if I put the timing chain cover on first. Any thoughts? Thanks. Art Cain.

Reply to
hesitant

The way I do it is to use a 3/8" drive extension, a looong one, to compress te tensioner. Here's how. With the timing cover one and the top gear on the chain in the correct position in your hand, pull tension on the chain and then stick the extension down to the tensioner and lever it into it's comressed possition. The have soneone help while you keep the tensioner compressed and wiggle the gear onto the cam. It is a tight fit.

Reply to
Wes

I ended up being saved by a long steel rod from an old mop that was bent at the right angle to let me apply pressure to the tensioner while I pulled up on the cam sprocket. Easiest if you have two people. I've also heard you can have someone turn the crankshaft manually while you pull up on the sprocket little by little until you can hook it on, but I never go that frustrated to organize that intricate of an effort.

Spencer

Reply to
Spencer Fowers