1986 4runner Brake Clunk Noise?

Hi,

I have a 1986 4runner with 22re motor,

5speed manual trans. and 119,200 miles.

I am experiencing a strange noise (and feeling) when applying pressure on the brake pedal. When pushing down on the brake pedal, either while driving or at a stop, the first 3/4 of travel is fine and braking "action" and stopping power seem normal. However, when pressing down on the pedal a bit more, there is a noticeable (audible) clunk and a simultaneous feeling that the pedal is catching on something or something is impeding the pedal's smooth travel. So a sound (clunk) and a "notched" feeling at the same time.

There is no leaking of brake fluid. The calipers do not seem to be binding. The lines do not seem to be pinched. The pads and shoes are worn normally. The pedal mounting bracket is not cracked or loose. I replaced the master cylinder with no change in the condition.

I am wondering if it could have to do with the brake booster and particularly with the point at which the pedal push rod goes into the booster. Perhaps it is binding, misadjusted, or warped. Anybody have a similar experience? Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance-

Matt in San Jose

Reply to
MM

This happen on my 86 22R 4X4 truck. I think I did 2 things:

  1. Bought a little rebuild kit for the rear brakes. Came with new pistons, springs, and boots. The boots were torn and so the pistons that push the shoes would stick.
  2. Took a coat hanger and cleaned out the carbon buildup in the vacuum line that runs from the booster to the botton of the carb/manifold.

HTH

-Matt

Reply to
matt morian

Sounds like a bad wheel bearing, jack up the front end and see if there is any free play in your front wheels .A wheel bearing will cause your brakes to grab because your disc brake pads are not seating properly.

Reply to
Matt S.