1986 4Runner Wire Harness

How do I connect the stock head unit from a 98 Camry to a 86 4Runner? More precisely, where do the cables in the 4Runner connect to the wire harness? Or how would I find out?

Reply to
MystHunter

wu\ill have wire colors/functions for both years --- you can buy a theft kit from Yota to give you the vehicle side plug for the '98 version. I did same on my '85 and new radio was huge improvement.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Hey You might also think of replacing (upgrading) the MAJOR supply cables. Battery plus and minus - anything going to and from the alternator. I also went thru the connections at the starting - ignition key. Replaced supply cables and cleaned up the connections. Dropped a bead of solder on the preheated cable ends and then flattened out the contact just above the plastic - nylon joint. Electical and electronic things now actually work the way they were intended to. Now i need to work on the noise suppression. Bill

Reply to
William Brown

Theres no need to replace any cables on a standard install head unit. And NEVER RUN AN EARTH CABLE TO THE BATTERY!!!!! Doing this will give you endless hours of trying to sourse the ingnition squeel comming from the unit when ya motors running.

Now if your going to run an extra amp, then and only then you NEED to run an extra power cable and ONLY for the amp. If you have engine squeel its 80% of the time from a bad earth. Earththe head unit to the dash metal with a GOOD solder connection or at least solder ring terminal.

Reply to
Scotty

I was able to put a head unit from my 93 4runner into my 86 pickup. I had to buy a new connector set, from the dealer, I think it was a kit with the brackets, for under $20.

Reply to
Joseph Wind