1987 Spare Tire

My girlfriend bought an '87 pickup a few months ago and we're really enjoying it:

Sadly, having never owned a pickup truck, I have no idea how to get the spare tire off. What's the trick?

Reply to
Lars Lehtonen

Hopefully you have a lug wrench bar with a square hole in the middle and long rod (about 36") with a hook on one end and square on the other. Since you don't have a bumper, look for an eye-bolt. Hook that eye-bolt with the long rod and attach the lug wrench to the other end. Start turning, and the tire will drop. To put back just reverse the direction.

BTW the Lug wrench, rod and jack are under the bench seat.

Good Luck!

JW

Reply to
Joseph Wind

And when you put the tire back up there, hang it stem side down. That way you can crawl under the truck and check the air in the spare occasionally without removing the tire first, drastically reducing the odds you'll end up with both a flat tire /and/ a flat spare at the same time. Which will really ruin your day.

This meme brought to you by the letters -->-- ;-)

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

That's all assuming that everything isn't rust-welded in place.

Reply to
Chuck