1988 4Runner low heat/temperature in cold weather or high speeds

I have a 1988 4Runner V6. I notice this in very cold temperatures or at highway speeds. The temperature gage will read mid mark and then when I hit the highway it drops down to just above the lowest , as soon as I slow down or come to a stop the gage will start to rise again.When I feel the air from the vents it varies from cool-warm to warm. What could be some of the causes of this. As I said before this only occurs when the temperature is cold (0c) or I take it on the highway and get it to high speeds. I had changed the thermostat with an OEM one back in the summer when I had to replace the water pump. I also have installed an after market Rad.

thanks in advance to all,

George

Reply to
George

I would have recommended a thermostat but it sounds like yours is too new to have problems. I would still check the thermostat first but if you find that it is fine there may be another possibility. You don't mention which engine you have and I believe this only applies to the 4 cylinder. Something to do with the design of the thermostat allows it to act the way you describe in very cold weather. Toyota has a redesigned thermostat available to correct the problem. There have been several links posted which had the part number for the new thermostat but I can't find any of them. Maybe someone else will have a link or your local Toyota dealer may have the newer part number.

Reply to
Mike

Hi Mike,

I did put in the engine it's the V6 3VZE engine. I did manage to find a website with the newer thermostats that your did describe. Just wanted to check to see if it could be anything else before changing the thermostat again.

thanks for the >> I have a 1988 4Runner V6. I notice this in very cold temperatures or at

Reply to
George

Oops, I see that now..

I did manage to find a