1989 Toyota 4 cyl 22re Engine - Erratic timing

Recently replaced air filter, plugs, rotor & dist cap in preparation for biannual Calif Smog check on 190,000 mi engine. Vehicle has less than 5K mi annual usage. I left on a 2 year old wiring set.

Failed Smog test because of erratic timing. Read 33 deg BTDC. Took it home and confirmed the erratic timing. Saw it jump from 5 degrees out to 33 degrees. Could it be the Throttle Positioning Sensor going out? All of the Smog emmission readings were normal for this engine, as they always have been, except for the erratic timing. Any clues?

Reply to
R.E.Pasco

Check timing belt for wear and looseness.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

For the 22RE, I assume you mean timing *chain*

Agreed, if the timing chain hasn't been replaced on this puppy, it's probably getting a mite worn.

Reply to
Andy Hill

My son has a 90 celica with a 2.2 and it has a belt drive for cam.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

2nd that, check the timing chain and guides. My 86 had only 160K miles when a broken guide allowed the chain to skip a sprocket. The only way to see the guides, is to remove the valve cover. The stock guides are plastic and break after time. I suggest metal backed guides if you have to replace them. If your going to take out the front plate, you might as well replace the oil pump, chain tensioner, Front seal, and the water pump.
Reply to
Joseph Wind

Timing chain, gear, etc. were previously done a couple of years and about 20 K mi. ago. Ditto water pump. Follow up diagnostics have exonerated the computer including the TPS. Two current possibilities are a loose harmonic balancer and/or a defective distributor. Driving it to shop today caused serious engine overheat - a first.

Given the age (17 yrs.) and miles (190.5 K Mi.)I might sell it as-is. I intended giving it to a grandkid to learn on but don't wan't to throw good money after bad.

Reply to
R.E.Pasco

Check your vacuum hoses. A vacuum leak can cause that erratic timing.

It is really cheap to just buy a long length of new vacuum hose, and replace them all. Maybe $10 for all of it.

BTW you neglected to specify carb or fuel injected.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

It's a fuel-injected engine. As of now, my plans are to get it towed back so I don't cause any overheating damage, pull the radiator and check the harmonic balancer, pull the distributor and have it tested, probably replace the vacuum hoses too. Thanks for the recommendation. I was going to replace the radiator anyway and replace belts and radiator water hoses while I was at it, originally.

Reply to
R.E.Pasco

One more thing to check, the plug wires and the coil wire. You may not notice any wearing on the wires, but if they short or ground it will cause miss firing, maybe not enough to back fire, but cause erratic timing. You may see an arc if the wires are warn. A similar thing happen to my 3VZE, in my 4Runner.

Reply to
Joseph Wind

Also might want to check the diagnosis codes. Don't think they spit out too much info for an older car but then again - might point you in the right direction

Reply to
William Brown

I am pretty sure that you are wasting your time with distributor.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

intended giving it to a grandkid to learn on but don't

I might be interested if your in southern California. Especially if your near Orange County? What model Toyota?

Thanks Dan

Reply to
Danny G.

Reply to
R.E.Pasco

Closeout comment:

Loose distributor shaft was the defective component, in this instance.

Reply to
R.E.Pasco