1990 3VZ-E, cylinder 6 no compression, LOUD metallic clackety noise

While travelling down the freeway today at about 85 mph, I lost some of my power- there was no accompanying loud noise or anything. However on slowing down there was indeed a fairly loud metallic clackety sound eminating from the engine.

"Listening" along the valve covers with a broomstick didn't work very well, it was difficult to discern which side let alone pinpoint where the noise was coming from, eminating from all along the top of the engine (or maybe underneath). Anyway, cylinder 6 is pretty dead at 40 psi, all others 135 or greater. Adding oil to cylinder did not help compression at all. The electrodes on this spark plug were, ah, devastated. The center elecrode appeared to be missing and there was alot of (oily) chunky deposit on outer electrode. Removed the valve cover and the cam lobes appear to be ok, along with plenty of oil. No oil in coolant nor loss of coolant that I can tell. While driving, the noise is quietest when I accelerate gently, loudest when decelerating or idling.

Ideas on what the problem is are greatly appreciated, I am just about to attempt to remove the head to check things out. Anything else I should check first?

Thanks, Greg

Reply to
uvacitas

This is just a wild guess, but it kind of sounds like you might have a cracked piston. The mechanical noise could be caused by a loose wrist pin, accelerating places enough load on it to quiet it down. However I'd think that a cracked/broken piston would cause lots of blow by.

I don't think a broken valve would quiet down when accelerating, but could contribute to your low compression.

Keep us informed.

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM

I'd say you burnt a valve and its now not closing all the way either, when it doesnt full close, it will increase the clearance and make some more noise, Looking at a valve grind, cost is about $1300

Reply to
MDT Tech®

I've had a broken valve spring before, but did not have the metallic sound. You could tell though that it was missing one of the cylinders, buy the exhaust sound.

Reply to
Joseph Wind