1990 4Runner, grinding noise from left front wheel....

I saw a message where a person had the same problem with their 1990

4Runner in 2000, but there was no posting as to what the solution was. Anyway, here's the problem:

My 1990 4Runner is giving off a grinding noise from what seems to be the area of its left front wheel. The grinding noise is not constant, but occurs abruptly with certain bumps on the road. It changes pitch with speed. It will occur seemingly regardless of what speed the truck is moving, increasing or decreasing speed does not stop the sound. Coming to a complete stop appears to stop the grinding noise. At highway speeds the grinding is barely audable, but on city streets it gets quite loud (less road noise to drown it out). The grinding comes in goes in what seems like a pretty irregular intervals. It grinds for four or five seconds at a time, then stops.

Thanks,

-Alex

Reply to
Alex Diablon

Lube the spindle bushings.

Reply to
MDT Tech®
[[ This message was both posted and mailed: see the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for details. ]]

Thanks Rick! I did a quick scan of Google after my original post and saw that you've replied with the same answer to similar queries in the past. I appreciate your help.

-Alex

Reply to
Alex Diablon

Alex, shows up when it gets cold. I did one just toaday at work. Of course, its been snowing for over 12 hours straight now! Lubed the bushings, fixed!

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Hi. I have this noise on two of my 4 Runners, a 1990 and a 1991. How do I do this job of lubing the bushings? Do I pull the caliper, bracket and rotor? Do I have to pull the axle? Thank you very much. Regards, Rick

Reply to
mcauto