1990 4Runner Wouldn't Start

I tried to start my 90 4Runner Monday morning, V6 w/auto, and it would not start. I turn the key and heard 1 click. Tried for a couple of minutes and nothing. Found my Hanes maual and located the stater. I gave it a wack and the truck started. Went to work , but after it would not start again. Gave the starter a wack again but it would not go, just 1 click again. Even tried jumping the starter fronm the battery, but no luck. Had it towed to the dealer.

I was sure it was the starter, but the dealer checked it and it turned out to be the battery. I was actually glad because replacing a battery is a lot cheaper then a starter! I just wish I had tried to jump it at work to save the tow, but thought if the power windows and wiper worked the battery was OK. My old battery failed the load test and I got a new Toyota battery for $108 CDN installed. They wanted $208 for the starter and $176 CDN for labour.

Reply to
Silentsam

I have had similar problems recently with my 98 Tacoma. Turns out it my battery terminals just needed to be cleaned and the connection secured.

How much was your tow?

-Erik

Reply to
ToyTaco

Hi all,

I've recently had the exact same problem with my 98 4runner SR5 (2 wheel drive). I had the battery checked and it was fine. I subsequently cleaned the battery posts and cables at the connection point. I hope this works because the next stop will be at the starter. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I suppose the big question is, if it is the starter, should it be rebuilt or completely replaced? The other question I have is how easy or difficult is it to get the starter out? My knowledge is basically limited to quick easy stuff such as oil changes and thermostat changes, etc. Also, if there are any Atlanta area folks on here that can recommend a good mechanic please let me know.

Best regards,

Phil

Phillip Smith

Its very easy and inexpensive to replace the copper contacts inside the starter solenoid, which is the usual cause of the problem described:

Roger Brown

Reply to
Silentsam