1990 Toyota Truck Won't Start

I had this problem with my '88. I fixed it by replacing the coroded battery terminal wires; they usually corode with the battery as well.

Reply to
Shinnokxz

The wires are pretty cheap, but the tough part is getting under the engine and installing them correctly.

Reply to
Shinnokxz

I refuse to take this car to a mechanic b/c I have this gut feeling he will charge me up the arse. The truck has a whopping 230,xxx miles on it. My mom really wants it to run as we need it to haul supplies. I just installed a new battery today b/c the old one was corroded and appeared too small. I get power so that appears to not bet he problem. When I try to start the car I hear a CLICK noise but that is it. The car won't even turn over. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank You

oh yea and ps i did have the car in park gear when i tried to start it :)

Reply to
SolaraGuy

It's pretty self explanatory if you can get a good view to where the end of the cables go. Takes a simple wrench and a socket. Make sure you do one at a time to get the right cables in the right place.

Reply to
Shinnokxz

is there a website that tells me a "how to" on replacing the wires, these look very old and raggedy so I think this might be it. Thanks again.

Reply to
SolaraGuy

Starter solenoid contacts. You don't want to do it yourself, take it to a shop.

charge me up the arse. The truck has a whopping 230,xxx miles on it. My mom really wants it to run as we need it to haul supplies. I just installed a new battery today b/c the old one was corroded and appeared too small. I get power so that appears to not bet he problem. When I try to start the car I hear a CLICK noise but that is it. The car won't even turn over. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank You

Reply to
Joseph Myers

Starter solenoid contacts:

lycka till! GTr

--

gregory trimper

pics of repairing a starter.

-Slik

Reply to
Slik

My 90 did the same thing.Was the starter. I replaced it and no problems.Yes it is a bitch to change too..Good luck!

Reply to
jgrant

dang guys, thanks for all the help, I pm'd the guy on toyota nation and I am hoping he can send me the solenoid contacts, it looks very easy. thx again and i will let u know if this cures it.

Reply to
SolaraGuy

looks very easy. thx again and i will let u know if this cures it.

They are definitely a witch's tit to swap out. I got at one bolt from the front of the motor. It took most of the extensions I had and a lot of dexterity to get the socket on the bolt. The other bolt is accessed from the back (transmission side) of the starter. I think I was able to access it from the wheel-well.

As information, I put a brass bar on the (bad) starter from inside the wheel-well and banged on it with a 2lb sledge while someone turned the key. The starter jumped to life when I did this. It not only got me home, but confirmed that the starter was the problem. You might want to try it - although my money is with everyone else on this one.

Luther

Reply to
Luther

sometimes the battery posts being loose will cause this problem. On my old toyota the contacts in the starter were burnt almost completely off and an inexpensive contact kit was available from toyota.

will charge me up the arse. The truck has a whopping 230,xxx miles on it. My mom really wants it to run as we need it to haul supplies. I just installed a new battery today b/c the old one was corroded and appeared too small. I get power so that appears to not bet he problem. When I try to start the car I hear a CLICK noise but that is it. The car won't even turn over. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank You

Reply to
Dale