1992 Toyota Pickup Broken Flywheel

Subject vehicle: 1992 Toyota Pickup, V6, 3.0 L, Auto Tranny, 2wd,

120k miles.

After dying at 3 am in the middle of nowhere and towing the truck to the dealer where they tried to get me to replace the starter ($600) because it was an aftermarket one instead of a Toyota OEM, I towed it out of there and to a tranny shop. I told the dealer it was not the starter and something in the tranny housing went wrong. I'll never trust a dealer again! The tranny guys dropped the tranny and found a broken flywheel. OK great know I really know the dealer had no idea what was up or was trying to screw me.

But the tranny guys want me to replace the torque converter because it "may have been damaged". Or better yet, since there a little leakage in the tranny, just rebuild the whole thing for a small $2000. He gave me 50/50 odds on the torque converter being damaged and said there's really no way to tell unless you just install it and drive.

Can the the torque converter really be damaged without visibly seeing or measuring any damage? Can one make measurements to make sure the torque converter is OK? Do I really need a rebuild?

UUGGGHHH. Can I really trust a mechanic?

Thanks,

Sparky

Reply to
Sparky19

Whats it guunna cost for you to replace the flywheel and out it back together? The labor content alone cant be a great deal. Thats all your playing with, the labor costs. If you get it back together and its stuffed your out of pocket acouple of hundred dollars. Its a risk you take.

PS by broken what do you mean about the fly wheel? Has the ring gear snapped off and scraped around inside the bell houseing and converter or just come off the flywheel?

If theres little damage to see inside the bell houseing Id be very tempted to stick it back together. 120miles is stuff all unless yourve been towing large trailers or heavy loads.

Reply to
Scotty

I am not so sure. If broken flywheel caused a imbalance condition it could have damaged torque conveter internally as they are sensitive to balance. If tranny was working okay I would replace front seal and install a new converter (they are not that expensive) and run it.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Thanks guys. The torque converter from the dealer was $575. Ouch. Maybe I won't put it in and hope for the best.

Sparky

Reply to
Sparky19

How about the after market for a converter. They are usually a few hundred bucks there give or take. Car dealer is the last place to buy one of those things if you value your money.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan