1993 Xtra-Cab rear speakers

What other speakers will fit in the stock housings? Mine are dead and I'd guess that Toyota probably wants an arm and a leg for new ones. Thanks,

Reply to
glenf

Get some 6inch two/three way coaxials fitted, unless you like more bass and have a better headunit than standard you wont regret the cash spent.

Reply to
Scotty

Reply to
glenf

Do you have the premo sound system where the rear speakers are in a tuned enclosure with amp? Or the low end version.

Reply to
Eddie

Eddie,

Reply to
glenf

Eddie,

Reply to
glenf

Have you got a jigsaw with a metal blade? Simple.

Reply to
Scotty

Or buy some 5inch two ways.

Reply to
Scotty

Reply to
glenf

Remove the old speaker and take it down to your local audio shop and ask for a decent replacement, tell them theres a heap of space behind the speaker (make sure there is with the window down all the way) and get a decent one. Infinity does great sounding speakers for jazz Lovers. Nice and crisp. May as well do all four (or 6) while yoru at it.

Reply to
Scotty

I would make sure. My system has the stock AM/FM cassette radio, but all the speakers are in tuned enclosure with the rears having a built in in each side. I suggest you pop a speaker out and have a look. I am not sure what the low end version looks like. Or even if I have the low end one. All I know is that it sounds great for a stock system.

I had one of my rear speakers start making a buzzing noise. I figured it was time for an upgrade so I started to hunt around for replacements. Oh, and Toyota wants around $400 for the speaker+box assembly.You just can't buy the speaker.

The rear speakers seem to be an odd size. 4" will fit the screw holes, but the speaker is far too small. 5.25" is too large. I am guessing they are around 4.5". Here is a photo of what mine look like.

As for finding good aftermerket replacements. They don't exist. I tried at least half a dozzen different speakers, and the few that did fit somewhat, sounded bad. You need a speaker matched to that enclosure. I suggest checking ebay for used Toyota speakers.

I found the bad noise mine was making was due to the center cone breaking loose and rattling around. I didn't notice it untill after I had tried all the replacement speakers. You may want to check on that. A little superglue fixed mine.

On a side note. If you have the same speaker system as I have in the above photo, if you opt to remove the stock enclosure and mount a 6" or something larger in that space, you are going to need an amp to power it since the head unit only powers the front speakers.

Reply to
Eddie

Eddie, tell me that your not Dyna matting AND keeping those poxy bloody speakers in your truck!!!!

Reply to
Scotty

Eddie,

Reply to
glenf

Sorry pal but you will be searching far and wide to find something that sounds even half pie decent with the stock headunit.

If you enjoy your music that much fork out for a decent headunit.

You get what you pay for these days for sure.

Reply to
Scotty

Reply to
glenf

Now all ya need to do is upgrade the fronts and ad a small amp, oh, then add a sub, larger amp and some great crossovers and youll get teh sound ya want.

:o)

Nah, add some componant speakers up front to increase your stageing.

Reply to
Scotty