1994 4x4 22RE

Hi all...

I recently (4 days ago) bought a 1994 4x4 with a 22RE and a 5 speed. It has 85,000 miles on it.

The previous owner saved all the oil change receipts (actually he had it on some service plan with a local Sears Automotive Center--got the oil changed, 4WD components lubed, tires rotated, etc. regularly) and claims to have babied it. It seems to run very well (I took it on a road trip this weekend of 500 miles and it performed flawlessly) and the body is immaculate, so I tend to believe him.

There is, however, some light tapping (sounds like typical valve tapping) coming from somewhere in the engine. Haven't had a chance to pinpoint it yet.

In looking at the Google news archives, it seems this sound is probably either the valves, the fuel injectors, or the possibly the timing chain. It's probably nothing, but it got me thinking about replacing the timing chain.

My previous vehicles all had timing belts which were to be replaced at very distinct intervals, but I can't seem to find any consensus on when to replace the timing chain on the 22RE.

The kit doesn't cost that much, and I don't mind spending a Sunday working on my truck, so I am thinking of just replacing it now to be safe. What do you guys think? Should I replace it? How can I tell if it really needs to be replaced (any way to do it without taking stuff apart and actually looking at it)?

Also, from what I've read, it seems that it is actually the plastic guides that tend to fail and not the chain itself. Are there metal guides that can be used to replace the plastic ones? If so, is it worth using them instead?

Also, anyone know where I can get a shop manual for this truck (the actual Toyota Service Manual--not Haynes or Chilton)?

Any other tips for a new used Toyota owner?

Thanks much.

Stan

Reply to
Stan Marshall

The following Toyota Center ships factory owner's manuals and factory repair manuals worldwide every hour:

Toyota Material Distribution Center

750 West Victoria St Rancho Dominguez/Compton,California USA 90220-5538/90220-5503

Ph:1-800-622-2033 (outside CA)(M-F: 7-5 PST) Ph:1-800-443-7656 (inside CA) Ph:1-310-818-4630 (in or outside CA) Ask for Deloris or Beverly

Or you can download a free 95 4-Runner factory repair manual from:

Free 95 4-Runner 22R-E factory repair manual

You can buy the original FSM at:

Toyota Material Distribution Center

750 West Victoria St Rancho Dominguez/Compton,California USA 90220-5538/90220-5503

Ph:1-800-622-2033 (outside CA)(M-F: 7-5 PST) Ph:1-800-443-7656 (inside CA) Ph:1-310-818-4630 (in or outside CA)

Any public library in your area would have the Factory service manual,Haynes,Chiltons,Mitchells and Toyota repair books. There is also free AutoZone service manuals at:

Finally there is a free aftermarket 1995 4-Runner (22R-E and 3VZE) service manual at:

For scanned pages of factory service manuals for other engines:

Roger Brown
[posted and mailed]

snipped-for-privacy@investmenthorizons.com (Stan Marshall) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

The sound you discribe could be the cam and cam followers, as when the cams do wear in these motors, they tend to be a dog to set up the valve lash so they don't rattle a little.

On to the worse case senario, the single timing chain setup used in latter

22r motors is very wimpy, [if not damm scary] my own experience has been to up grade [or retrograde] to the double chain setup used in the 20r type motors, they use a steel backed chain followers which are pretty much bomb proof.

The only other components you would need to change is the oil pump drive spline [shorter] and the chain tensioner. Time wise depending how comfortable you are doing it, a day and a bit should be enough to accomplish the task, though you do have to take off the head.

I hope this helped a bit and I hope I've posted this right

cs

Reply to
cs