1995 Surf CD player trouble

I'm sure I've seen this mentioned here before, so maybe someone can set me right:

My Hi-Lux Surf was imported from Japan and has a 'double DIN' Toyota audio unit fitted from new. Everything works fine except the CD player, which smoothly rejects every audio CD I put into it. I think this may be some sort of brainless copyright protection system, based on world 'zones.'

I'd hate to have to junk the unit and increase my 'carbon footprint' even more, so does anyone know of a fix or workaround for the problem?

Reply to
Pelorus