1996 TACOMA HARD TO START WHEN WARM

Have a 1996 Tacoma. Runs great but when you turn it off you have to wait 30 to 45 min. to restart or it will just turn over and not get ignition. Im thinking it has something to do with the injectors or maybe a sensor. Any suggestions.

Reply to
woodbatch

You state that it turns over and will "not get ignition". Do you mean it has no spark or that it just won't start ? If you are saying that it has no spark you need to look at the ignition system. That would have nothing to do with the injectors.

Reply to
Mike

Before you do anything, you should be aware that the Tacoma fuel injection is programmed with a "hot start" mode.

Before you turn the key, push the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and hold it. This will keep the FI "brain" from richening the mixture for the start.

-- Mike Harris Austin, TX List owner, Toy_Coma

Mike Harris

There is no need to hold the acceleator to the floor when starting a hot engine. There is no need to even touch the accelerator on a fuel injected vehicle when starting it. In fact, on any fuel injected vehicle, holding the accelerator to the floor while starting is not reccomended unless the vehicle is flooded. When you hold the accelerator to the floor it causes the computer to stop fuel delivery to clear a flooded condition. If it's not flooded it won't start because it won't be getting any fuel.

Reply to
Mike

Sounds like a bad Air Mass Meter. Does the engine, when running also run a bit rough?

Reply to
Joseph Wind

Hi Mike,

I have the same issue, however I have a CEL on - error code is that the front 02 sensor is N/g. Also when emissions tested; failed as "running to lean". My guess is the too lean issue causes a vapor lock when it is too hot (or something like that). Playing with the gas pedal will get it started MUCH earlier than the wait time you describe.

Problem I have is the 02 sensor was already replaced last year, supposedly, although I suspect the old one was just reconnected and attached - my brother-in-law owned it then and just before I bought it the same garage said "oh. maybe it was the rear one.

Now the code says (again) the front sensor is n/g per Autozone. Downside is it will co$t to try my theory. Also I have an exhaust leak AFTER the catalytic, but before the 2nd sensor.

Not sure what to believe, but it seems that if the front sensor was working and the 2nd didnot seefull exhaust, then if anything it should run richer as the 2nd sensor is seeing less exhaust. But then you get into ppm etc. etc.

Dealar basically wants to just basically replace the entire car, which is honestly not honest.

Digg> > Have a 1996 Tacoma. Runs great but when you turn it off you have to wait > > 30

Reply to
Ken

Did Autozone tell you the exact failure code? Hard to interpret "front O2 sensor is N/G".

What engine and what year? The V6 engines in the mid-90's Tacos have two O2 sensors upstream of the cat (one for each bank), and a single O2 sensor downstream of the cat. If it's a 4-banger, then you have one upstream and one downstream O2 sensor.

The O2 sensor downstream of the cat isn't involved in the fuel mixture calculations -- it's just there to monitor the efficiency of the cat.

Reply to
Andy Hill