1998 Toyota four runner 3.4 liter automatic, sputtering.

The truck idles great, in neutral, or park, at any RPM, but in gear, it sputters, almost all the time, like, it's not getting the gas. At cold start, it's fine, at first, for a minute, or so. Then, it sputters, almost continuously. It first showed the problem, while on a five hour constant drive. On 30 minute, constant drives, it was fine. When it first happened, it only happened a few times, on the long drive, & it got worse over time. It doesn't burn any more gas, than it should, it just sputters. The yellow engine light, under the fuel gauge, doesn't work, & the windshield wash light is on, & the brake light is on too. There is lots of windshield wash, & the brakes are fine. I'm wondering, if these lights are all related. The brake light only came on after having been serviced, to put the truck on the road, as I just bought it a couple of months ago. I get no code, as the service engine soon light is not coming on when I turn the ignition switch to the on position. The brake light will sometimes flash momentarily while the truck is sputtering. The previous owner stated, he blew an ignition coil pack ( there are three...one per cylinder), while giving a boost to someone. The truck was running perfect for weeks after I bought it. I have filled up, & put EFI cleaner in the gas tank, but it's still the same. What, should I look for? I'm assuming, there is no vacuum leak, as the truck runs fine in neutral, at any RPM. I will get the codes checked, as soon as I have time. Are these trucks, known for any common tips, for this type of problem? Thanks, for any input, you may give.

Reply to
Dani

Fuel filter(s)?

Reply to
NotMe

Performance problems that appear under load but not in neutral tend to point to ignition misfire problems. Certainly check the plugs, wires and coil packs. You also need to get the dashboard straightened out. A non-functioning OBD system makes diagnosis extremely difficult. Good luck. Al

Reply to
al

Just because the light doesn't come on doesn't mean the OBD won't show a code if you connect a scanner. Sounds like a misfire - likely bad plugs. Not Bosch Platinums by chance???????

Reply to
clare

Wish I could really help. But did notice the ? about Bosch Platinums. '87 PU, purch used, went 230,000 miles on 2 sets before I sold it -- rusty, but great running. My '95 Path has 189,000 I'm on 2nd set. My 2002 Tundra 3.4, purchased used, has 158,000 w/ little over 100K on it's 1st set. Started using Bosh back in '76 on both my Corolla wagon and '75 SR5 coupe. Both were sold in very good running condition with over 200K miles. No complaints so far. When the EGR valve finally clogged up on the '87 it ran lousy under load.

Reply to
anonymous

You might have good luck with Bosch Platinums - but I sure have not, and I'd venture to guess I've seen a whole lot more of them than you have. Their failure rate is not good, over-all.

Reply to
clare