1999 tacoma horn replacement

I am mechanically inclined, but I am most certainly NOT a mechanic.

I am replacing the horn in my '99 Tacoma, and so far, I have one primary problem. I can't find the horn. ;- | ...

Please let me know where the horn is. And to replace, do I need to remove the front grille, or any other part of the truck?

Thanks for tolerating my somewhat inane questions....

Reply to
jwill

No Problem! Get a helper, open the hood, stick your head right in front of the grille, and have the helper hit the horn button. Judge whether your left ear is ringing louder than the right and/or which side the hearing loss is most pronounced, that tells you which side to check on... ;-)

Seriously, they (Plural, two most likely) are usually off to one side of the radiator or below it. Behind the grille, in front of the radiator support. Sometimes under the headlights on one side, or tucked in behind the front bumper.

There aren't too many places to hide the stupid things. But they are small (about the size of a bagel) and they can put them in during assembly and really bury them, the sound still gets out.

They are NOT under the back bumper, I can rule that out for you.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Although that is often a good place for them for idiots that are tailgating! Truch air horns work well there!

Reply to
Scotty

No, that's a job (at night) for the set of Hella Super Rallye lights with the 200W lamps, aimed backwards on the rollbar.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Yea, that's a hell of an ideal. We can visit you in jail when some idiot tail gates, you decide to turn on your lights and he gets blinded, loses control and hits someone head on.

Reply to
Dean

Not likely. Tail gating and "losing control?" Your attempt at logic just fell apart.

: >>> The (horns) are NOT under the back bumper, I can rule that out for you. : >>

: >>Although that is often a good place for them for idiots that are tailgating! : >>Truch air horns work well there! : >

: > No, that's a job (at night) for the set of Hella Super Rallye lights : >with the 200W lamps, aimed backwards on the rollbar. : >

: > -->-- : : Yea, that's a hell of an ideal. We can visit you in jail when some : idiot tail gates, you decide to turn on your lights and he gets : blinded, loses control and hits someone head on.

Reply to
Fuller Rath

I did that on my truck, too, Bruce.

If anyone asks, call them "work lights."

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote

Reply to
jp2express

Nothing wrong with my logic. Read it again. Those are pretty bright lights and if they hit some idiot that is tailgating, he could easily loose control when blinded by the light and have and accident. Not saying he might not deserve it, but any innocent people involved wouldn't.

Reply to
Dean

Let's try this again. "We can visit you in jail when some

No one will be visiting the lead driver in jail. What flat earth are you living on?

[...]

Not the same one you're on. First, follow-ons go at the bottom, not the top. Second, to the point, if the lead driver were to turn on those lights, causing a crash, he could very possibly be prosecuted for it if a death resulted. In most states it's illegal turn have white light, other than the license plate light, visible from the rear of the vehicle. Enough time on you. You have a good day, flat lander.

Reply to
Dean

and the down side of the location and current size is that you won't be able to put anything much larger in it's place. You'll have to relocate if you are installing something larger than the mentioned bagel sized unit.

Reply to
JeB

And don't most states have laws against displaying anything but stop (red), turn (red or amber), and tail(red) lights to the rear of a vehicle? You can even get a ticket if your tail light lens is broken and the bulb is visible. The only exception is backup lights.

Reply to
TOM