1999 Tacoma Prerunner transmission slipping after timing belt repair !?

I took my 99 Tacoma 3.4L (96,000 miles) into the shop to have the timing belt, water pump, and engine belts replaced. The timing belt actually still looked pretty good, but the water pump was on the way out, so good "timing" on that account. Anyway, the transmission started slipping right away. I mean, it takes 2 or 3 seconds for it to kick into gear after starting it and putting in fwd or reverse. It improves after warming up but this is disturbing to say the least. it wasn't doing this before the above mentioned repair. How could this repair have affected the transmission ? I mean in the NORMAL course of this repair ? I realize that an incompetent mechanic could screw up most anything, but I just don't understand the connection, if any.

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
ScottHW

More detail:

1999 Toyota Truck Tacoma PreRunner Extra Cab 2WD V6-3.4L (5VZ-FE)

Has been well maintained according to factory schedule. Could this be due an electrical control of some sort that was not put back correctly and/or needs to be reset ?

Scott

Reply to
ScottHW

Have you checked the fluid level recently? Has the transmission filter ever been changed when the atf fluid was drained?

Reply to
bbtaco

Fluid level was the first thing I checked - it was fine (sorry I left that out). As for filter, uncertain, at least not by me. I bought it at 72,000 miles, the darn thing was in mint condition. Previous owner said it had "transmission service" at 60,000, whatever that means.

I can imagine all sorts of things that COULD go wrong, its just so odd that it was pronounced immediately after the mentioned repar.

Scott

bbtaco wrote:

Reply to
ScottHW