1999 Toyota 4-Runner Water Temperature Sender; Where is it?

My 1999 Toyota 4-Runner (3.4L V6) now has just over 100,000 miles on it. The check engine light has come on for the first time. I have noticed over the past couple of months that the Temperature Gauge has been 'jumping'. Sometimes the needle is steady, sometimes it drops from warm to cold and sometimes it twitches, as if there is a short in the wire. I'm guessing the Water Temperature Sender is going bad, but I can't find it on the engine. I bought the Hanes manual, and it helped me locate the ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) Sensor. But that sensor does NOT control the gauge. The Water Temp Sensor is sending that 'fluctuating' singal to my gauge and it's never mentioned in the Hanes manual.

Can someone PLEASE help me locate that elusive Water Temperature Sender?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Eric snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

Reply to
Eric

With a jumping temperature gauge, I would replace the thermostat. Jumping usually indicates that the thermostat is binding while opening / closing. With 100,000 miles on the truck it's time for a new one. I recommend the Toyota OEM.

Paul.

Reply to
Paul.

Paul -

I hear your logic, and it makes sense if the guage were somewhat steady, and suddenly pops up or down. But I can't see the thermostat opening and closing so quickly that the guage would sometimes twitch or flutter up and down. I will replace the thermostat anyway, just to rule it out as well as it's probably time anyway, but I would like to try to replace the $8 sender also. It's cheap enough too. If I could only find it.

Also, thanks for the pdf manuals.

Eric

Paul. wrote:

Reply to