1999 Toyota Tacoma Aftermarket Tachometer Installation

I have a 1999 Toy Taco and want to install an aftermarket tach. I have everything figured out except for the GREEN wire to the coil. I cannot seem to find the coil. My truck has a 4cyl and two small boxes that has two spark plug wires each that run up to the plugs. One is marked " 3 2 " and the other is marked " 1 4 ". are these the coils? Any help that anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Reply to
1999Tacoma

Why not get an SR-5 dashpod? much easier & foolproof.

Reply to
dat2

I would do that but I already have the tach and have it mounted in a pod on the driver's pillar. I also have my Oil Press. gauge mounted there. If all else fails, I will just get a new pillar trim and go with the SR-5 dashpod. I would really like to get this tach working though. Is there a wire behind the dashpod to hook a tach to? If so, where and what color should I look for?

Reply to
1999Tacoma

The dash pod just plugs into the harness, no tracing. I always add one to my toyota's regardless of model, they are all wired for the "good" dashes.

Reply to
dat2

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (dat2) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.alltel.net:

You don't have to wire the tach to the coil? How much would one of those cost? How difficult is the install? I've a base

95.5 and would like the tach and resettable trip odometer. You really don't have to do anything but plug it in? You get new or used?
Reply to
MLB

Call a salvage yard and ask for an SR-5 dashpod for a truck. The tach, O/P gauge & voltmeter are built into the dash unit, just plug it in where the old dash unit was plugged. It's pre-wired from the factory to work.

Reply to
dat2

That is what I did when I bought a used 1995 Tacoma with only a speedo in the insturment cluster. I went to a junk yard and bought an instrument cluster for $75.00.

It plugged right in. I didn't have to change anything else, and now I have a tack and I also scored a trip odometer.

The only problem is the junk yard speedo has about 61,000 more miles than the actual truck. My dealer gave me a sticker to put in the door jam with the date and differences between the old and new odometers.

Ken - West Union, SC Population 270 + 2 (counting dogs and chickens) "There are 2 theories to arguing with a woman...neither works." - Will Rodgers

Reply to
RunnerBiker