2000 4Runner oil filter change messy

I have had my 2000 SR5 4Runner since new and haven't had to change the oil and oil filter myself until now. The oil filer is hard to get to since I found no service opening in the driver side wheel well. After changing the oil filter, oil spills into the pan that protects the motor and makes a mess when backing down the driveway.

How do I keep the oil from spilling/leaking from the filer as I remove it?

Thanks -

Reply to
Harlen Ng

Remove the skid plate first. It's easy to do. Some folks have other ways. Some put a cut-off litre pop bottle under the filter. Some put a garbage bag under the filter. I take off the skid plate.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Probably the worst design aspect of an otherwise great car. Used to bug the H*LL out of me. I also removed the skid plate.

I've since moved to Japan and now drive a SURF with Japanese version 4 banger with pushrods that has fuel filter, oil filter and distributor conveniently located on top right side of engine and wonderfully accessible. Slightly less acceleration but markedly better fuel economy and ease of maintenance. Oh what a feeling...

Bubba

Reply to
Bubba