2000 4Runner - Towing Popup Camper Questions

Was planning to use a 2000 V6 2WD 4Runner to haul a 1 ton popup camper into the mountains. The camper is equipped with electric brakes and the SUV has an electric brake mechanism installed. Is it okay to haul the camper as is? Or do I need to invest into the transmission and power steering fluid coolers?

Reply to
O.B.

Power steering cooler probably is overkill, though it can't hurt. But if you have an automatic transmission the added cooler is a must. You generate a lot more heat in the torque converter while towing, and if you don't get rid if it you can cook the transmission fast.

If you have a deep-cycle battery in the trailer, you want to add a charging isolator relay in the truck for the charge line. If you just link the two batteries, you can end up with both too dead to start the truck. This is bad.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I agree power steer cooler a bit of overkill but the trans cooler is a must especially if you are doing any sort of mountain work, just install the cooler early enough to check for leaks properly . Joe

Reply to
Joe