2000 Tacoma PreRunner question

Greetings all, I'm considering buying a 2000 Tacoma PreRunner Xtra cab/V6/automatic/2wd...it's a beauty, but I have a concern about the gas mileage. I live in California where you almost need to take out a small loan to fill up your gas tank these days and I'm wondering what mpg others get with this vehicle. I'm a relatively easy driver and don't need a 4x4 but I do live on a rough n tumble dirt road. I travel into town everyday and for the most part will be town driving with occasional trips to the mountains and coast. Are there any other concerns I should have with this truck? Any and all suggestions would be so much appreciated. Thanks Annie

Reply to
annie

I don't see a question here, but a hint about gas mileage. I get 25 mpg on the identical rig but it's a 4x4 rather than a Pre. I test drove a Pre finding it rode better than the 4x4, but figured I wanted the 4x here for recreation. I like the smaller Toy, but if I were only wanting utility and not wanting to spend as much, I'd buy an F150. They work well, there are hundreds of them for sale at any given time and they are decent.

-paul

Reply to
Paul Cassel

I don't know how you get 25mpg, but I only get 18-19 in town with my

4x4 taco 4cylinder. I understand that the prerunner is lighter, so you might gain 1 or 2 mpg in town. I would not expect 25, though, unless you're on the highway and right behind a large trailer for the whole time. I just get 22mpg at 72mph on cruise control for the whole tank. Granted mine is also a '98, but the engine has not changed much since then.

-Matt

Reply to
Matt Kane

Mystery to me too. I always get much better mileage than EPA on everything I drive from trucks to bikes. We did an extensive analysis of it on a bike forum and concluded that in an F.I. system, I, driving at between 5,000 and

7,500 feet elevation have much less wind resistance than others at conventional alititudes. The F.I. system compensates for the density altitude reducing overall h.p. some, but keeping mix perfect.

In the bike forum, there was an almost perfect correlation between rider size, elevation and mpg. I, at the smallest and highest was predicted to have the best mpg and I did. Also my area has almost no traffic jams so I don't have wasted gas in stop and go. Finally, I drive the 5 speed.

-paul

Reply to
Paul Cassel

25 mpg? Bullshit. My '98 V-6 Pre-runner has never averaged better than 20 mpg since I bought it new and right now I'm getting about 19 mpg with 90% highway driving.
Reply to
Murph

I had a 99' PreRunner with a 3.4 V6 and babied it to get 20mpg. I now have an 03' V6 4x4 and get 17-19 if I never get on it. I second the "bu11shit".

Reply to
Mastiff M

Neither of you fools can read either. What is your elevation? Then read my altitude, calculate density altitude and then refigure. Or is that too much for you dimbulbs?

I got the same elevated mpg when we did a bike compare. When similar bikes come to my area, they get the same mileage I do.

geez. BullSh*t on you two too.

Reply to
Paul Cassel

Gas Milegage...........hmmmm! Now there is a subject that people love to discuss, so I'll throw in two more "data points"

98 Tacoma Ext Cab Pickup SR5 with 4 cylinder engine

------------29 on the highway and 25 in town. Worst I ever was 17 mpg pulling a 8' enclosed u-haul trailer

02 4x4 4Runner V-6

------------~21 on the highway and around ~17 in town

Reply to
Hudson

I was really into the gas mileage thing when I bought my new '88 pickup (22r, 4-speed). It got around 27 on the highway and 23 or so in town on short runs. After a couple of years, I discovered that the mileage hadn't really changed too much, and constant checking didn't make it increase, so I quit wasting my time. Haven't bothered to check it more than a couple of times since 1990. It still runs great and gets filled up when near empty. Life is much simpler now... :>))

Reply to
TOM