2000 Tundra Check Engine Light

Hi All

I am just going on 65,000 mile and today the check engine light came on. Is this one of those nagging please take me to toyota to shut me off lights one gets at 65,000?

Thanks in advance

Roland

Reply to
RC0369

Check with your local Toyota dealer as the O2 sensor on the V-8's are going bad quicker than Toyota can make updated replacements. Had to wait almost two weeks to get the new updated sensors in from the factory.

BTW, my 02 Tundra had 51,000 miles when mine went bad. A friend had his go bad on his 02 after 14,000 miles. Another friend had his go bad on his 03 around 40,000 miles.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

Hard to say. Mine came on a couple of months ago about an hour after I got gas. Turns out that the guy at the gas station forgot to put the gas cap back on. It could be as simple as that. Or it could be an O2 sensor, which seems to be the next most likely culprit.

Gary

Reply to
Garys2

If it is the O2 sensor, you're in luck because Toyota has extended the warranties on them until 90000 miles.

-CB

Reply to
Cyberbilly

I bet it is the O2 sensors - notoriously bad on the 2000 models I have replaced three of mine so far. Go to AutoZone they will read the code for free and let you know what if anything needs to be done.

Reply to
Screaming Honda

Thanks, I'll go to AutoZone today, did you replace them yourself? Was it difficult?

Roland

Reply to
RC0369

Like I said, Toyota has extended the warranties on the O2 sensors up to

90,000 miles. Take it to the Toyota dealer and get it done free.

-CB

Reply to
Cyberbilly

Reply to
Robert C. Hoffman

Oxygen sensors deteriorate with use--actually respond more slowly until they finally fail. 130,000 miles is good life, and you were due for new ones. Installing new sensors when the old sensors are responding more slowly should give slightly better mileage and performance.

Ken

Robert C. Hoffman wrote:

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Hi All

Took my truck to Autofair Toyota of Manchester NH today.

They replaced the front two 02 sensors free of charge... Seemed to be confusion at first about the 7/90,000 bulletin.

But in the end no problems and no charge.

Thanks for the replies

Roland

Reply to
RC0369