2000 Tundra Misfire

Threaded View

Yesterday my Tundra suddenly lost power and running poorly.  Starts fine and
runs ok while sitting still.  Misses under load.  ODB II multiple codes
P0308 P1340 P1320 P1310 P1305.  Spark plugs were changed about 2K miles ago.
Truck has 100K miles.  Any ideas.

Re: 2000 Tundra Misfire

Check out this web site http://www.obd-codes.com /

Finding out what each code means can be an experience non the less, but
sounds as if you might have a crank or cam position sensor that is going
out. One faulty sensor can cause many trouble codes but you need to look for
the obvious first. Check for any vacuum leaks then look for any connections
that might have come loose.

One last thing, you didn't say if your Tundra was a V6 or a V8. The 4.7L V8
is an interference engine and needs to have the timing belt replaced at
90,000 miles. If the belt breaks, it could cause a valve to be forced into
the top of a piston causing major engine damage. MTCW.

Larry

Re: 2000 Tundra Misfire

Could the Cat Converter be clogged?

Best regards,

Rich
www.guytronix.com

Re: 2000 Tundra Misfire

  P0308 = Cylinder #7 misfire

  P1305 = Igniter circuit malfunction # 2

  P1310 = Igniter circuit malfunction # 3

  P1320 = Igniter circuit malfunction # 5

  P1340 = Igniter circuit malfunction # 8

   The P0308 code is a misfire on cyl # 7.  The other 4 codes indicate a
problem with the coils not firing. This could indicate a problem with the
coils, wiring or ECM.

  You mentioned spark plugs were changed, what brand plugs were used ?  Was
the vehicle missing on the original plugs ?  If it only misses under load I
would look at spark plug boots, plug wires and/or coils.

Re: 2000 Tundra Misfire

KEYSTROKE ERROR
That's Cylinder #8 misfire for that code.

Re: 2000 Tundra Misfire

   Nope. That is not an error. Toyota says a P0308 = cylinder # 7 misfire.
Toyota shows the error codes starting with a P0301 = misfire detected. Code
P0302 = misfire cylinder #1.

Re: 2000 Tundra Misfire

That's odd, my OBD II link shows P0308 as cyl. 8. P0307 would be the code
for cyl.7

One of our data sources is in error.

Re: 2000 Tundra Misfire

   Jeff

  I agree. I have never seen that numbering system before either. Normally
P0308 would be # 8 cylinder not # 7. It looks to be a Toyota Trouble code
chart so it may be Toyota decided to do things a little different.

Re: 2000 Tundra Misfire

I suspect an error on the Toyota trouble code chart. The ONLY reason I say
this is that the whole point of the OBD II convention is to standardize
standard codes that all vehicles might generate. At least one of the
problems with OBD I is that automakers could make thier particular code set
unique, this allowed mechanics to claim they had to learn lots-o-stuff and
buy lots-o-equipment, therefore they could charge lots-o-dollars for service
that should be reasonably cheap. If I can learn the code set and gather the
codes from lots of vehicles, then I could charge a particular fee. But, if I
had to attend training clases on all of the cars that I might offer service
for, and they all required specialized unique machines, then I could set my
charges considerably higher and make a strong argument that my charges are
justifiable.

Of course, if the guy down the street charged less, then he would grab some
of my customers. But, if we met for beers after work and agreed that the
cost of doing business had gone up because of federally mandated systems,
then we could both raise our prices and get away with it. The consumer was
getting royally hosed under OBD I, and OBD II was created to remove the
abuse that OBD I created. This would make it a requirement that P0308, for
example, should always mean the same thing on any car that can generate the
code.

Clearly, all cars do not generate the same codes. But, OBD II says that if a
code is generated, it always means the same thing. This scheme makes
allowances for Manufacturer Specific Codes -- there are codes that Fords can
generate that Toyotas will not generate -- but the P0308 code that the OP
reported is not one of them -- all codes that are P0nnn are among the common
code set.

Re: Re: 2000 Tundra Misfire

Jeff , i was reading your post and have a 2000 tundra also with 81k
miles on it.  It also started giving me a misfire. you can detect it
at idle and with a load on it, but it seems to diminish at a higher
RPM.  It gave me a P0300 code and showed a random multiple cylinder
misfire and showed cylinders 1,3,4 & 8 as misfiring.  any suggestions?

"Jeff
Strickland" wrote:

 > >> Yesterday my Tundra suddenly lost power and running poorly.
 >  Starts fine
 > >> and runs ok while sitting still.  Misses under load.  ODB
 > II multiple
 > >> codes P0308 P1340 P1320 P1310 P1305.  Spark plugs were
 > changed about 2K
 > >> miles ago. Truck has 100K miles.  Any ideas.
 > >>
 > >
 > >
 > >  P0308 = Cylinder #7 misfire
 > >
 > KEYSTROKE ERROR
 > That's Cylinder #8 misfire for that code.
 >
 >
 >
 >
 >
 > >  P1305 = Igniter circuit malfunction # 2
 > >
 > >  P1310 = Igniter circuit malfunction # 3
 > >
 > >  P1320 = Igniter circuit malfunction # 5
 > >
 > >  P1340 = Igniter circuit malfunction # 8
 > >
 > >
 > >   The P0308 code is a misfire on cyl # 7.  The other 4 codes
 > indicate a
 > > problem with the coils not firing. This could indicate a
 > problem with the
 > > coils, wiring or ECM.
 > >
 > >  You mentioned spark plugs were changed, what brand plugs
 > were used ?  Was
 > > the vehicle missing on the original plugs ?  If it only
 > misses under load
 > > I would look at spark plug boots, plug wires and/or coils.

Re: 2000 Tundra Misfire

P0308
Cylinder 8 Misfire Detected

P0320
Ignition/Distributor Engine Speed Input Circuit Malfunction

P0340
Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction

Since you reported changing plugs recently, I'd be looking for a wire
related to the distributor, either on the control side (first guess) or on
the firing side. The distributor is telling the computer that it is not in
the right position, among other things. I'm thinking you might have yanked
something that is between the distributor and the computer (as opposed to
between the distributor and the plugs).

There is a good chance the distributor itself -- or an internal part -- is
toast. The Cam Shaft Position Sensor lives inside the distributor and gives
data relative to speed and location. Since this appears in two codes, P0320
and P0340, I'd start looking for this first, and the P0308 should fall into
place. (If there is a signal error for speed and location, the result could
be a misfire.)

You report two codes that are Toyota specific, and I haven't a resource for
them. As a general rule, any code that is P1nnn is vehicle specific, codes
that are common among all vehicles are P0nnn.

Try this link,
http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troubleshooting/l/bl_obd_main.htm

Re: 2000 Tundra Misfire -- OOPS

OOPs.

Sorry, I can't read. I completely missed several of the codes and gave bad
information as a result.

Re: 2000 Tundra Misfire -- OOPS

Thanks.  I figured #8 was involved but couldn't figure out why I was getting
the other bank errors.  Turns out the #8 coil was shorted causing the two
associated error codes and the others were due to misfires on other
cylinders caused by the shorted coil.

Re: 2000 Tundra Misfire -- OOPS

Excellent!

I would have expected a slightly different result -- I had the other errors
as the trouble, and the code for Cyl. 8 as a ripple affect of the actual
problem. But, I read the codes wrong so I would have not come to the right
conclusion.

Site Timeline