2000 Tundra Misfire

Yesterday my Tundra suddenly lost power and running poorly. Starts fine and runs ok while sitting still. Misses under load. ODB II multiple codes P0308 P1340 P1320 P1310 P1305. Spark plugs were changed about 2K miles ago. Truck has 100K miles. Any ideas.

Reply to
Bubba

Check out this web site

Finding out what each code means can be an experience non the less, but sounds as if you might have a crank or cam position sensor that is going out. One faulty sensor can cause many trouble codes but you need to look for the obvious first. Check for any vacuum leaks then look for any connections that might have come loose.

One last thing, you didn't say if your Tundra was a V6 or a V8. The 4.7L V8 is an interference engine and needs to have the timing belt replaced at

90,000 miles. If the belt breaks, it could cause a valve to be forced into the top of a piston causing major engine damage. MTCW.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

Could the Cat Converter be clogged?

Best regards,

Rich

RG

P0308 = Cylinder #7 misfire

P1305 = Igniter circuit malfunction # 2

P1310 = Igniter circuit malfunction # 3

P1320 = Igniter circuit malfunction # 5

P1340 = Igniter circuit malfunction # 8

The P0308 code is a misfire on cyl # 7. The other 4 codes indicate a problem with the coils not firing. This could indicate a problem with the coils, wiring or ECM.

You mentioned spark plugs were changed, what brand plugs were used ? Was the vehicle missing on the original plugs ? If it only misses under load I would look at spark plug boots, plug wires and/or coils.

Reply to
Mike

P0308 Cylinder 8 Misfire Detected

P0320 Ignition/Distributor Engine Speed Input Circuit Malfunction

P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction

Since you reported changing plugs recently, I'd be looking for a wire related to the distributor, either on the control side (first guess) or on the firing side. The distributor is telling the computer that it is not in the right position, among other things. I'm thinking you might have yanked something that is between the distributor and the computer (as opposed to between the distributor and the plugs).

There is a good chance the distributor itself -- or an internal part -- is toast. The Cam Shaft Position Sensor lives inside the distributor and gives data relative to speed and location. Since this appears in two codes, P0320 and P0340, I'd start looking for this first, and the P0308 should fall into place. (If there is a signal error for speed and location, the result could be a misfire.)

You report two codes that are Toyota specific, and I haven't a resource for them. As a general rule, any code that is P1nnn is vehicle specific, codes that are common among all vehicles are P0nnn.

Try this link,

Jeff Strickland

OOPs.

Sorry, I can't read. I completely missed several of the codes and gave bad information as a result.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

KEYSTROKE ERROR That's Cylinder #8 misfire for that code.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Nope. That is not an error. Toyota says a P0308 = cylinder # 7 misfire. Toyota shows the error codes starting with a P0301 = misfire detected. Code P0302 = misfire cylinder #1.

Reply to
Mike

Thanks. I figured #8 was involved but couldn't figure out why I was getting the other bank errors. Turns out the #8 coil was shorted causing the two associated error codes and the others were due to misfires on other cylinders caused by the shorted coil.

Reply to
Bubba

That's odd, my OBD II link shows P0308 as cyl. 8. P0307 would be the code for cyl.7

One of our data sources is in error.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Excellent!

I would have expected a slightly different result -- I had the other errors as the trouble, and the code for Cyl. 8 as a ripple affect of the actual problem. But, I read the codes wrong so I would have not come to the right conclusion.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Jeff

I agree. I have never seen that numbering system before either. Normally P0308 would be # 8 cylinder not # 7. It looks to be a Toyota Trouble code chart so it may be Toyota decided to do things a little different.

Reply to
Mike

I suspect an error on the Toyota trouble code chart. The ONLY reason I say this is that the whole point of the OBD II convention is to standardize standard codes that all vehicles might generate. At least one of the problems with OBD I is that automakers could make thier particular code set unique, this allowed mechanics to claim they had to learn lots-o-stuff and buy lots-o-equipment, therefore they could charge lots-o-dollars for service that should be reasonably cheap. If I can learn the code set and gather the codes from lots of vehicles, then I could charge a particular fee. But, if I had to attend training clases on all of the cars that I might offer service for, and they all required specialized unique machines, then I could set my charges considerably higher and make a strong argument that my charges are justifiable.

Of course, if the guy down the street charged less, then he would grab some of my customers. But, if we met for beers after work and agreed that the cost of doing business had gone up because of federally mandated systems, then we could both raise our prices and get away with it. The consumer was getting royally hosed under OBD I, and OBD II was created to remove the abuse that OBD I created. This would make it a requirement that P0308, for example, should always mean the same thing on any car that can generate the code.

Clearly, all cars do not generate the same codes. But, OBD II says that if a code is generated, it always means the same thing. This scheme makes allowances for Manufacturer Specific Codes -- there are codes that Fords can generate that Toyotas will not generate -- but the P0308 code that the OP reported is not one of them -- all codes that are P0nnn are among the common code set.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Jeff , i was reading your post and have a 2000 tundra also with 81k miles on it. It also started giving me a misfire. you can detect it at idle and with a load on it, but it seems to diminish at a higher RPM. It gave me a P0300 code and showed a random multiple cylinder misfire and showed cylinders 1,3,4 & 8 as misfiring. any suggestions?

Reply to
abioli